Chapter - 10

Long chapter ahead!

Happy reading!

• dancing darlings •

✧✧

Fortunately, nobody noticed that the two main stars of the celebration were gone for almost an hour.

Vrushali had come back with only a small plate of dumplings and told them to go back down as soon as possible because guests were about to gather inside and finding the two of them coming out of a room together- wasn't going to fare well for sure.

Sneakily going downstairs, they settled awkwardly by the right side of the hall, on the assembled chairs. Not at all giving away the fact that they'd just come back from eating their fill.

Apparently everyone who had been too busy gossiping and eating so far, just wanted to dance now by the look of it.

"I might just barf if they make me dance. I'm too full." Maithili muttered as they whispered and talked to each other.

Nikshit wasn't any different. He was lucky to have elastic on the waistband of his pants instead of a thread or button today or he might have felt like his stomach would burst any moment.

He was wearing a cream colored traditional kurta with a maroon zari work on it and a simple pajama of the same material and color. The relaxed long sleeves of the kurta made it more convenient to move around for him.

On the other hand, Maithili wore a mildly heavy backless maroon sharara with work of white pearls on it. Although it was soft, looked gorgeous and was comfortable, it was not so comfortable at the same time.

"I knew we wouldn't be able to escape." Nikshit muttered under his breath and faked a smile towards the trio of his buas coming their way.

"Are they nice or do I have to be careful while talking?" Maithili cautiously looked at them from her peripheral vision and avoided any eye contact, just in case until they were standing right before them. She'd remembered Vrushali's warning.

"It's fine, just follow my lead. They're here." He spoke from in between his teeth and pressed a wide smile towards the approaching aunties, nudging her to stand up along with him.

Here we go!

Maithili had never been the one to dread conversations from upfront but today she felt too nervous whenever she was approached by anyone.

Talking to the three aunties wasn't that hard thanks to Nikshit but being forced into the middle of the crowd by them to dance definitely was.

There was a dance floor arranged in the hall, she hadn't noticed it when she'd come inside. Probably because Vrushali had taken her upstairs through another way.

"This is so embarrassing." Maithili muttered as they stood awkwardly together. As if they haven't already been into too many embarrassing situations, this just had to get added to the list.

Being gawked at by so many people and being the center of attention was too much to handle. The burnout was the real deal.

"Don't look around. Just keep looking at me. It'll be fine." Nikshit whispered holding her hand in one of his own and took a step closer to hold her through the waist with his free hand.

"Mister dapper, you're not worth looking at either." Even though her mouth was being sarcastic, she couldn't help shuddering either.

Her head was trembling inside with the sensations she was feeling all over her skin.