Chapter - 13

• Surprise •

✧✧

Sometimes sharing your happiness also makes you feel a little awkward. Getting good wishes and blessings always feels great. Nikshit and Maithili were indeed feeling awkward but the happiness they felt on seeing the delighted faces of their loved ones was worth it.

The day started with a very calming vibe. Maithili had woken up earlier than usual to get her stuff ready for the office and also arrange her clothes in the wardrobe properly. The two days she has been here were too busy given the reception party and the departing guests.

Unfortunately, there was no time to arrange her luggage.

Nikshit woke up to an empty and clean room to his surprise. His room was always a mess thanks to his laziness and the last few days had stuff pile up more because Maithili's luggage was lying around all over the room until the previous night.

It felt fresh to look and walk around the room finally.

The guests had either left or would be leaving by today. Vrushali had left early in the morning as expected. Her seat was empty on the dining table. Kaushiki and Vidhart might leave soon as well, as far as he knows.

"Good morning." Nikshit greeted once he took a seat. The dining table was again half empty today. His father had probably left already because he wasn't present there. Vidhart seemed to be almost done with his breakfast as well and his mother was drinking tea, probably her second cup of the day. Maithili was sitting right beside the empty chair beside him.

If one didn't know better they'd think it was because they were avoiding each other.

Nobody could really tell.

The two of them were subtly avoiding each other.

There was this sudden emptiness around them where they couldn't pinpoint at what was wrong. It just felt right at the moment to stay quiet, avoid interactions as much as possible and give the much needed space to each other.

Nothing had happened really, it was uncalled for and unsaid. Something had shifted in between them and they did not know what to name it so ignorance felt like the best choice.

"Ready? Shall we leave now?" Nikshit asked as he took a look at Maithili from head to toe.

She had worn an orange-red organza saree paired with a half sleeved blouse. Her hair was half clutched behind and half open. With her jewelry kept minimal, a pair of gold sui-dhaga earrings were dangling on her ears. There was a small gold nose pin adorning her nose and the nuptial thread of black beads were paired with another gold chain around her neck.

The red bangles she wore during the wedding were still on her hands and lastly, when she walked consciously in her mild heeled sandals, the anklet chimed along with the click-clack of her heels.

It was like an alarm, like a pre-warning about her arrival to him because the chime of her anklets got his attention from the moment she'd left the room and walked down the stairs with a leather tote-bag on her shoulder, a mobile phone in one hand and the other hand held the pleats of her saree.

"Let's go." Maithili stood beside him and passed a smile towards her mother-in-law who gave her a thumbs up. "Looking gorgeous!"