Chapter - 24

traumatized

✧✧

"Maithili?"

Nikshit knocked and called out from outside the bathroom door. She'd been locked inside for too long, it was worrisome.

"Open the door. Are you okay? Methi, open up."

He did not have to persist much. Maithili had opened the door wilfully. Nikshit's eyes scanned her from head to toe. Her face was cleaner, her hair was a mess and there was a clearly visible blackening injury on her forehead.

Her eyes were still red and she was still dressed in the gown which was falling off her shoulders messily. Maithili's eyes lingered over his face, her hands clutched by the sides in fists, feeling overwhelmed by the gush of emotions hitting her.

She couldn't even lift her arms to tie up her hair or change out of the dress.

"It hurts. Everywhere." Her words came out more like a whimper as she bit on her lip. Her eyes moistened gradually when Nikshit stood there looking at her like he was going to cry any moment.

"I'll help. Come here."

Nikshit gently made her stand in front of him with her back facing him. She did as she was told, stood there unmoving, cooperatively, watching him comb her hair as gently as possible, into a mirror that was kept on the side.

It was difficult to not pull on the hair once in a while because of all the twists and turns and the pins that were holding it together on her head. The occasional winces from Maithili had him on the edge every time he pulled the brush down.

"Sit down. I'll be back." Nikshit pulled a chair to let her sit on and made his way back towards the bathroom, pulling out the shirt he'd been wearing on his way. He hadn't changed either.

Soon, Nikshit came back with a wet towel in his hands.

"You want to wear something else first?"

Maithili shook her head in response. No, she first wanted to get out of this dress and wipe off the remaining blood and sweat that was still lingering over her skin. Neither of them spoke again.

Nikshit helped her out of the dress, his hands busy wiping over her body as she stood there in a lacy tan bra with her dress hanging on her waist. Her upper back had small cuts, it was inevitable to not have it hurt by accidental touches from his careful hands.

Maithili held her winces in until she was turned around. Her labored breathing did not go unnoticed by him at all. Watching Nikshit keeping his eyes focused on where his hands were guided with a cautiousness without really touching her.

Had it been some other day, they might have ended up doing many sinister things that they were used to harboring in their minds but right now, even though their bodies were lit on fire at instances wherever they touched, their minds were too occupied with thoughts other than their sexual desires.

The wound near her shoulder on the back was what gave her the most trouble, especially when she felt his fingertips caressing around it.

Nikshit helped her wear light comfortable clothes before leaving a kiss on her head and going ahead to freshen up himself. Maithili sat on the bed in a daze, waiting for him to come back.