Chapter - 12

Subtle changes •

✧✧

Early in the evening, Nikshit woke up to his room filled with ladies of his house gossiping. Confused, he sat up only to find his mother, sister, Sister-in-law, aunts standing together in a circle, surrounding Maithili.

His hand blindly went around and pulled out the phone from beneath his pillow on a habitual reflex.

There were a lot of email notifications on the pop-up as well as some messages. He skimmed through them one by one groggily, listening to the women chattering. The sleepiness hadn't completely worn off yet.

"Done."

Neelam announced and they all stepped away from Maithili. They were helping her in getting ready altogether. As exaggerated as it sounded, it was still the sweetest gesture one could see. She didn't know how to drape a saree by herself skillfully yet so Kaushiki helped out and others stood around like an audience and guides.

The sleeping newly married younger son of the house was of course blatantly ignored until they noticed him sitting there awake, looking at his new bride all dolled up in a red banarasi saree. Nikshit could tell it was thick and she was going to sweat buckets if they were going anywhere where there was no cooling system.

"Nikshit, go freshen up and get ready. Puja is in half an hour. You've got fifteen minutes to yourself." The eldest, Prerna bua, told him as the ladies made their way out of the room.

There was no privacy in this house even after he'd gotten married!

After a quick shower, Nikshit wore the dhoti-kurta set his mother had left behind for him and joined the family on time for the puja downstairs.

People were assembled in the hall already. How long were the celebrations going to last? Many more were to still come.

His eyes kept going back to look at Maithili on their own, he couldn't help it. It was like his eyes had their own separate brain that made them function when she was around. He was extremely distracted the whole time.

Luckily the little get-together was over soon and he was informed that Maithili's 'Mooh Dikhai' is going to be held today itself. For several reasons like his relatives have to leave soon and to just finish it up today so that they could have ample time to prepare for the reception party that was to take place after two days.

Maithili was thankful for the afternoon nap because the tiredness she felt all over her body could have led to her hospitalization if she hadn't gotten any sleep before.

Later that night, she lazily sprawled on the bed beside him with her eyes closed. Nikshit looked at her keenly, she was laying with her face down. Her hair was pulled up in a neat bun and the backless blouse helped her feel much better as the cold air hit her bare skin.

Another backless blouse to make his sanity shake a little.

He was but a healthy man at the end of the day after all. A man who'd been just married to a very gorgeous, curvaceous and enticing woman.

His eyes went towards the glass of milk that was kept on the table beside and then back at her. There was so much to say and talk about with her but he'd decided not to say anything unless he was sure she'd be civilized enough to lead on a conversation.