Chapter - 5

trapped

✧✧

The clock kept ticking and Sheetal hurriedly made her way upstairs, shouting Maithili's name the whole way while double checking the arrangements at the same time.

Maithili was busy completing the pending work of the office in her room, with the earphones plugged in and on the top of its volume in her ears.

"Maithili, what are you doing?" Sheetal pushed open the door, walked inside and knocked on her table with a frown adorned over her face.

She wasn't even noticed until she did that.

"Ma?"

Maithili pulled out the earphones with confusion written over her face as if contemplating about if she forgot to do some work or did something wrong because her mother's face looked like she was ready to scold her any moment now.

"What? I told you to get ready. Why are you working right now? It's Sunday. Take a break and the guests will arrive soon. You have to get ready. Comeon get ready fast." She ushered her and went around the room keeping things in their proper place.

"God knows when this girl will grow up. I have to run behind her for everything. Even the curtains are still up and then she'll complain the room keeps getting hotter. You have to ventilate or it'll start smelling!"

Sheetal kept talking to herself until she was done pulling the curtains of the window down and keeping a set of ironed salwar suit along with a small box of jewelry on the bed for Maithili.

Okay. She had completely forgotten to get dressed.

"I thought they were your guests. Why do I have to dress up nicely? I mean, it's not like I'll be staying downstairs the whole time, right?" Maithili whined while making faces as she plugged in the earphones again, which were immediately pulled out by Sheetal.

Way to go!

Sunday is definitely not Sundaying today.

"Ma, I don't want to get-"

The rest of her words were stuck in her throat when she looked at Sheetal's stern face. The expression that adorned her mother's face meant she is supposed to shut up now.

Sheetal took a deep breath and held her shoulders guiltily. Now was definitely not the right time to tell her, it was too late but she couldn't take the risk beforehand either. What if she ends up freaking out in front of the guests and scares them away?

"They're coming to see you. I'm sorry for hiding it from you until this moment but I know you wouldn't have agreed to meet anyone so I had to."

Maithili's thoughts swirled around her whole head like a halo when she heard that. Of course she wouldn't have agreed. She'd have in fact run away for a day or two to any of her friend's house or stayed at the office and worked overtime. She totally overlooked the fact that it's Sunday today.

"Ma, we've discussed this before. I don't want to get married right now. I've just learnt how to take a flight, I still haven't taken off to the sky properly. There's so much to do. I have so many plans and I just can-"

"Hold on and listen to me first. I knew you'd start cribbing like a stubborn child, that's why I didn't tell you. For now, just get ready fast. I don't want any of your stupid excuses." Sheetal scolded.

Ulta chor kotwal ko daante!

The look on Maithili's face made her take a step back and her voice went twice as soft. Why did her kids have to inherit baby faces!