Chapter 40

"Come on, come on, come on! We're going to be late!" I screamed at Axel.

"Alright! I'm coming." He groaned as I struggled to pull him through the hallways of the school. "Do we even have to go? Why don't we just ditch?"

"Axel, you know we can't ditch." I said.

"Fine." He said willingly.

We both walked into the gym with everyone already on the bleachers in their red graduation gowns and caps. I spotted the gang and we made our way to where they were sitting.

"Finally. They already started." Caitlyn whispered.

"Sorry, but Mr. Lazy over here didn't feel like coming today." I motioned, with my thumb, to Axel.

"I'm not lazy, I just didn't want to leave my bed or get up today." Axel stated.

"That's called being lazy." I said.

"Well it's not my fault. Why do we have to waist our Saturday for this?"

"Because it's important. We are leaving high school and becoming official adults." I explained.

Axel was about to continue when the principle began to speak. "Alright everyone. Now it's time for Sarah - to make her spearheaded. Sarah is a straight A honor roll student, the president of the student council, and has over 500 hours of volunteer work!" Principle Katherine announced.

Yea, remember when I got to preform at Prom? Well I just asked the head of the Prom committee, which would be the President of the student council. See where I'm going with this?

Sarah smiled and ran down the stairs of the bleachers. She ran to the stage that all of the teachers sat in chairs on. She stood at the wood pedestal and cleared her throat. She pulled out a couple of note cards.

"Hello everyone. As you know, my name is Sarah. You might know me or seen me around school..." She began to read. She looked up and stared at me. I gave her a thumbs up.

She flew the cards out of her hands and laughed. "Screw it. The rest of your life is a long time and whether you know it or not it's being shaped right now. You can choose to blame your circumstances on fate or on bad luck or bad choices or you can fight back. Things aren't always going to be fair in the real world, but that's just the way it is but for the most part you get what you give."

"Let me ask all of you a question. What's worse, not getting everything you wished for or getting it but finding out its not enough? The rest of your life is being shaped right now with the dreams you chase, the choices you make and the person you decide to be."

"The rest of your life is a long time and the rest of your life starts right now. So congratulations class of 2016! We did it!" Sarah finished with a smile.

Everyone rose to their feet and clapped for her. I was the loudest and Dominick whistled.

"Thank you Sarah. That was very nice." Principle Katherine came up and spoke into the microphone as Sarah made her way back to her seat. "Now it's time to give out the diplomas."

"Gavin Adams.... Danielle Albines...." This went on until the letter B. "Xavier Brandon... Axel Braxton...."

Axel ran down the stairs as Principle Katherine continued to call names. Axel ran up the stage and was given his diploma. He raised it up in the air like the guy from the breakfast club at the end of the movie. I laughed as he left the stage.

As everyone else's named were called I suddenly jumped at the sound of my name. I got up and walked down to accept my diploma. I walked onto the stage and up to the principle.