chapter 14

And I have plans for you, plans for prosperity but not disaster, plans to bring about the future you hope for.

"I wish there was a way one could always dodge these assemblies.." Mya was telling Po.
"I know. But wait, isn't it today when they announce you as a lesbian for all the girls to be aware when around you?" Po replied. Po and Mya literally came from the same neighbourhood and had been friends since elementary so Mya believed her to be one of the few loyal friends.
The school assembly had been quite brief except the part where they made Mya stand up for recognition and the headmistress cautioned the students to report immediately if they suspected Mya of anything.

Mya sat with Serah and waited for their composition results as miss Ruth read out their score and the students picked their marked essays.
When every one had picked, miss Ruth announced, "we are going to hear one of the essays that you wrote and there fore having scored the best mark, Amyaline, come read us what you wrote."
Mya was shocked. She had been the best in composition writing. It had been sheer imagination based on the stories the elder brother used to tell her from movies he had watched. She got up from her seat and moved in front to read her essay thinking. At least some part of my life ain't as messy.
So she read.
THE NARROW ESCAPE.
It was a cold night. I was with my sister sleeping on one of my grandmother's hay made beds. The whole family had travelled upcountry to celebrate Christmas with granny.
The house had been small and granny made me sleep with my younger sister in the loft.
In the middle of the night, i was woken up by some weird sounds down stairs. I got up and peeped through the trap door and saw a big man standing in the living room. I felt so scared. Dad was on his knees beside mum and our elder brother and uncle Jim. The man was holding a gun and granny was saying something pleading. What happened next shocked me. The man shot granny through the head. I peed on my self. I felt my whole body soak in sweat. I wanted to cry but that's when my dad looked up and saw me. There was something he wanted to say but he couldn't speak.
I felt some one beside me and that's when i realised that my sister had been there all the time.
The man led every one out in a line and took a second to peer at the house in general and moved out. After a while, it was all silent again. I managed to tiptoe down and check on granny. She was very stiff. I had to wait till morning before i got help. The sherrif had come the next morning and me and my sister had moved to Aunt Jenny's and put under psychotherapy. Up to now i have never seen my parents and my brother. Up to now i get nightmares about that man. It was surely a narrow escape for me and my sister. For effect, Mya went ahead and read miss Ruth's comment. You could do better if you minded your punctuation and paragraphing.