Chapter 19

When you are happy, you enjoy the music but when you are sad, you understand the lyrics.

Mya tried so hard to keep her family in one piece. Some times, she would miss school and make sure the mom went for counselling. She also tried to talk to Ariel into learning to be content with what their family had come to.

Eventually, there was progress. Mya's mom could even go on her own. She said she had met this woman who was a born again christian who was helping her out with family therapy.

With time, her mom started going for prayer meetings and fellowships until she even begun inviting the Mya's to go and pray together. She begun a prayer tradition in the house where they prayed every 9:00pm no matter what you would be doing.

Mya started loosening up abit too at school. She made some friends with Sandra and Nightingale who later introduced her to their circle of friends too.

She wasn't necessarily popular, but she started getting recognised in class and around school halls. This being a mixed sex school, came with its other weird traditions where students could actually date and make out and all.

At first she found it really kind of creepy for guys to come and hit on her but with time, she got used. Being in a single sex school had shaped her into wanting something close to the perfect guy who acted gentlemanly, where you would actually write down all the qualities you wanted in a guy and couldn't settle for less.

Most of the guys who had hit on her had therefore been turned down bad style with this attitude of you ain't up to my level by Mya. To most of the guys, it had been a thorn in the side of their male ego.

Life wasn't getting better, but neither was it getting worse. It was just taking a different dimension. Mya's mum was so into prayer that she could even hold fellowships home and would sit the Mya's down and tell them how getting born again is the only solution to all their problems.

With time, Ariel and Calvin had been convinced by the mum and became active in church. Mya was just a passive church goer and most of the time went there just to please the mum. She was five months pregnant then and was getting fatter.

One evening Mya came home and found a strange lady she had never seen before. She looked Japanese and was having a hearty chat with the mother.

After she had left, Mya came down stairs and asked the mom jokingly how she even managed to make a Japanese friend. The mom explained how she had met her when she had gone shopping and she had been so kind to her.
She run an organisation called the universal peace federation and they could even give Mya's mum a job if she attended a 21 day workshop. After that she would start working with allowance during the last two months of pregnancy in her maternity leave, plus camp for all the workers' kids every holiday.

Mya wasn't surprised when the next day her mom announced going to the 21 day workshop. Any ways, it would be a break for her, so Mya cheered her on.

One evening Mya was packing her books to go home when Sandra came over to her and convinced her to accompany her to her boyfriend's place. She said she couldn't go alone because she wanted the dad to know she's with some girlfriend and it would be just for a short while.

Mya just accepted simply because James' place was like a 10 minutes walk to her own home. She tried to act cool even when she found James with his other friend Francis. Mya never used to like Francis because he was one of the guys that she had turned down and had threatened to see the end of her.

Sandra offered Mya a coke and went with Francis to talk in private. Mya just sipped her coke and never said a word to Francis. As she drained the can, she realised she was feeling abit drowsy.

She quickly tried to stand but couldn't. "What was in that drink?"she asked him. Francis just smirked at her. "Did you think you would keep a way for ever. Now i got you."

Mya tried to struggle but was helpless. And she watched involuntarily as Francis ripped off her clothes and used her. All she thought of during the process was a swift suicide plan and return as a vengeful ghost.

It was the worst day in Mya's life. A story she could never tell without tears and thousands of "had i knowns" in her mind. She woke up the next day and slowly walked home with some effects of the drug still in her.

The moment she looked at her mother's face, she knew she couldn't tell her what had happened and forged a story about sleeping over at Nightingale's.

She skipped school for the next two weeks worried about pregnancy and AIDS and thinking of a suicide plan. She got a bit relieved when she got her monthly periods.

She never talked to any one in school again. All she did was sit and plan all kinds of vengeance on the three. She was among the students who couldn't wait for holiday to come. She felt helpless and so alone and worst of all never told any one so as not to be embarrassed.

Holiday plans were shattered too when mum announced to Mya that she, Ariel and Calvin would go for the universal peace federation youth camp instead as she was working there now.

Mya just locked herself in her room and cried. More like wailed.. And wished she hadn't been born. She cried tears for all the times she had been strong.

Note:
I know, the chapter is so lengthy. Sorry. But i would also like to apologize for the mistakes coz the book is un edited.
Thanks for the support. Hope you are enjoying the story.