Chapter 2

After Jeffrey left, the thought of a nice long warm bath captivated my mind. I still could not believe how huge the bathroom was and the infatuation I had with the massive vintage bathtubs.

I lit some softly scented candles and disrobed. I slipped blissfully into the scalding water. It released the smell of flowers in the middle of spring.

I was pulled away from my serene state when there suddenly was a firm knock on the door. I quickly hopped out of the water and wrapped a warm towel around my naked, wet body. 

I trotted down the hallway and swung opened the door, and to my dismay there stood Jason with flowers held in his grasp. 

"What are you doing here Jason" I exclaimed impatiently. 

"You need to leave" I stated coldly.

"I'm not leaving you, Emma. Please come back to me" He begged. 

"I have no place in my life for unfaithful scum like you" I scoffed, slamming the door in his face. 

I turned to the side table in the hall. I took ahold of my iPhone and rapidly called Jeffrey.

"Hey .. whats up?" Jeffrey asked with a casual chuckle. 

Tears began to well up in my eyes as I attempted to keep it together. 

"Please come... Jeffrey. My ex-boyfriend just showed up. He started harassing me and won't leave me alone" I said strongly.

Before I could even get my thoughts together I could hear Jeffrey's heavy steps speed walking down the hallway. 

"What are you doing in my building? And more importantly why are you harassing one of my tenants?" He said forcefully. 

I had never seen Jeffrey like this.

"Fuck off! It's none of your business old man" Jason hissed. 

Jeffrey went to take hold of Jason's arm, but within the blink of an eye, Jason threw a punch, nailing Jeffrey square in the jaw. 

Once Jeffrey regained his composure he threw an even stronger punch and knocked Jason to the ground, dragging his stunned ass to the elevator.

"Bother her again and you will sorely regret it" He hissed shoving him into the elevator. 

Jeffrey came trudging into the apartment and frowned intensely as he saw the tears I had fought too hard not to release, streaming slowly down my cheeks. 

"Emma" He sighed.

He immediately enveloped me into a hug, and I couldn't help but hug him back even harder. As I sank into his embrace, he lifted my chin to meet his gaze. Jeffrey brushed away my tears from my warm cheeks. 

"Thank you Jeffrey" I whispered and laid my head against his firm chest.

"Did he hurt you? Because if he so much as laid a finger on you I'll kill him" He said protectively. 

"No, he didn't" I sighed. 

"Emma, why do you only have just a towel on?" He asked slightly confused.

"I was soaking in the bath when there was a knock at the door. Initially, I thought that it was you, but when I opened the door, it was him" I replied.

"Shall we find you something to change into?" Jeffrey suggested as he released me from the comfort of his arms

"No need to worry, I can handle it," I answered. 

Jeffrey's face held and expression full of worry, one that couldn't fade away.

"If it would make you feel more comfortable, I could sleep on your couch tonight ... Just so you know that someone is here" He said softly.

"Jeffrey, I'll be ok, I promise" I replied, with a sweet smile. 

He nodded in compliance and gave me a tender hug. He slowly closed the front door behind him and sighed deeply.

I locked the door as if it was a maximum security prison. I slowly walked back to my bedroom and unplugged the stopper to drain the tin of the now clammily cold water.

It hasn't even been 5 minutes since Jeffrey left and my phone buzzed to life.

Jeffrey: Hope you're okay! Received at: 9:42 pm. 

I grabbed my iPhone and began to compose my response back.

Emma: Jeffrey.... I'm okay, don't worry, and it's all because of you. I'm thankful for you beyond measure! Received at 9:44 pm. 

Jeffrey was such a gentleman and more than helpful to me. I haven't known him long, but I know he genuinely cared about me. He was a very special man, and there was no denying that I was developing very strong feelings for him. 

Developing strong feelings for a man I met one day ago.