Chapter 1

I mentally groaned as I pulled up at my university. I was extremely tired, like I have been a lot recently. I gathered my things and slipped my bag over my shoulder as I got out of the car. I walked with my head down, as always. I had no friends or even acquaintances here, so coming here regularly without anyone to talk without looking at a screen made it worse. Maybe that was just me though. I had always been the chatty type, once you got to know me. With strangers, I'm shy and nervous. But with friends, it's hard to keep me quiet. Well, that's how I used to be. Before Aaron. I instinctively looked around my surroundings at the thought of his name. While I was with him, I had no friends. They had all left me because I wouldn't listen to them. I should've. If I had a chance to go back in time, I would've listened to them. I wouldn't have gotten so hurt...maybe. I found my building and opened the door quickly, ready to be inside. Being inside made me feel a little bit safer than being outside. "Good morning, Katherine!" My professor beamed at me as he held the door open for me. I forced a smile. "Good morning, Sir." I said quietly. He nodded at me as I walked past him into the big room. I went and took my seat, looking around the room. Only a few other students were here. I yawned again as I pulled out my MacBook. This was only my first lesson of the day. I nibbled on the donut I had just bought as I looked over my notes on my laptop. I didn't even notice someone sitting beside me until they spoke. "Hi. I'm Freya." They spoke quickly. I looked over, jumping slightly. A blonde had her hand out for me to shake. I took it slowly, giving her a small smile. "I'm Katherine. Or Kate, if you will." I said. She nodded. I looked around again. There were plenty of empty seats, and I had no idea why she chose to sit by me. "Sorry. Is it alright if I sit here? It's my first day at this Uni and I'm a bit nervous. I just transferred." She said. I looked at her again and saw her looking around as well, biting her lip. "That's fine. If you want." I said, glancing back at my computer screen. She pulled out her own pink MacBook. We sat in silence for a few minutes. I looked at the big clock on the wall. The lesson wouldn't start for another half hour. I always got here super early, along with some others, and Freya apparently. "So, can we like get to know each other or something? I feel like talking will calm my nerves." She said, twirling a strand of her hair around her finger. "Sure. What do you want to know?" I asked, mentally sighing. "Do you..um...have a significant other?" She asked. I giggled. "A boyfriend? No. What about you?" I asked. She smiled. "I do. His name is Josh. Have you ever heard of the Sidemen?" She asked. I shook my head slowly. She nodded in understanding, but didn't bring it back up or try to explain to me who they were. She simply moved on. "How old are you?" She asked. "19. What about you?" "Okay! Let's get started!" The professor's voice boomed from the front of the room, making us jump. We had been talking longer than either of us thought. I looked at the clock. No, he must just want an early start. "What dorm are you in?" I whispered to her. "Umm...the west wing, number 17." She said, looking a piece of paper. I smiled. "Looks like we're roommates."

-Kenzie ( kenzieXIX )