Chapter 1 - Beastly Intentions

"We go out for one lousy drink, and you guys somehow manage to pick a fight with Boba Fett."

~ Leonard Snart (Captain Cold)

:Mark Tier:

Teaching the students of the rich and famous in DC was harder than it looked.

Even with the elongated winter break because of the accident during finals week, I wasn't prepared to go back to teaching.

I taught AP Biochemistry, AP Chemistry, and Pre-AP Chemistry at Eldredge Academy. I loved the subjects, so it wasn't hard teaching them, especially since I had great students like Oliver Storm, Aden Dashner, and Annalise Pearson who never complained about work. The hard part was finding time for my side experiments.

It was no secret to my students and other faculty members that I loved supers. They were so fascinating, and they could get their powers from almost anything. And, with my background in biochemistry, I knew I could maybe do the same.

In today's world, becoming a super (that is to say, someone with superpowers) was as easy as jumping into a vat of toxic waste or taking an experimental drug. The only problem was that more than fifty percent of the time, you died. Not every black matter storm gave you superpowers. And since every kid everywhere wanted to be a superhero and, in turn, tried doing idiotic things as to get powers, the government put regulations on all known superpower inducing products. Some drugs like those of Paramount Pharmaceuticals drifted through the cracks.

The superheroes were our everyday saviors. They saved the world one super villain or robbery at a time.

And for months now I have known one fact. I was dying.

I had a rare stem cell disease that the doctors haven't been able to identify yet. All they knew was that I was dying. All I knew was that I had one chance to save myself.

By making myself a super.

It was common knowledge that the supers had extended healing abilities, even if not all of them were healing supers per se. If I became a super, I could be healed.

It wasn't that hard to find the right formulas. In the Super Black Market, you could find anything. There were quite a few supers who got their powers through genetic manipulation. Big companies would fund the experimentation of kids, mixing their DNA with that of various animals. This lead to the creation of supers like Calico and The Hawk, who were part cat and part bird respectively.

Interest groups would sell the formulas and information after the companies were taken down for huge sums. It was a good thing I had money set aside to buy such a thing.

Now, I wasn't hell bent on being a superhero or super villain like most people would be. I just wanted to get healed. And being a super would get me there.

I grew up in the world of heroes. My generation faced the beginning of the world renowned phenomenon that was the supers. We were living in a comic book.

But I also knew that the supers weren't all that they were cracked up to be.

Government regulations popped up as I was growing up as a way to stop the growing and threatening population of supers from becoming menaces. Technology was created to try and tell whether or not a person was a super. Prodigies were ridiculed as possible supers using super smarts to cheat their way through school. Athletes were accused of having superhuman speed and strength. Artists were suspected as influencing audiences into loving their voice or their work.