20

"Luke, come visit in the summer" His mum said as he hugged her goodbye.

"I'll try but Maddie and I are going away for a couple of weeks at the beginning"

"Where are you going?" His dad asked.

"New York"

"You barely know each other and you're just going to get on a plane to New York?"

"Mum, you're making this a big deal"

"Did you pay for the tickets?"

"Yeah-"

"She just wants your money, Luke"

"What money? I'm a college student, I have no money. Maddie didn't know I was buying the tickets, I surprised her"

"That's nice of him, isn't it, Liz?" Andrew said. Last night Liz went to bed early and Luke and I stayed downstairs with Andrew. He apologised and we ended up getting on pretty well.

"I guess so"

"I'm extremely grateful. I tried to pay for my ticket but he wouldn't take the money" I told them. I was doing my best to try and show his mum I wasn't as bad as she thought.

"He's a Hemmings boy. A gentleman at heart" His dad said.

"Why can't you guys go to Brisbane or Perth? Why New York?"

"My parents live there and I want them to meet Luke"

"You've met us so there's no reason why Luke shouldn't meet yours"

"Exactly" Luke said.

"Why can't they come visit here? Surely they must come to see you?" Liz asked me.

"They moved when I moved out and haven't come back since. We've talked and FaceTimed but that's all"

"Have a good time out there" His dad said before hugging the both of us.

"Well, we should get going before we hit all of the traffic" Luke said and I nodded. We said one last goodbye before leaving. "We made progress with my dad"

"He actually likes me now"

"My mum probably does like you she just doesn't want to show it. She can be a bit stubborn"

"A bit?"

"Don't worry about her. If I decide to marry you that's my business"

"Our business"

"Maybe we should get engaged just to piss them off"

"We're not that mean"

"I beg to differ, baby" I shot him a glare before reaching for his hand that was on the gear stick.