33

"I don't want to do this. Please don't make me do this" I said to Luke as we pulled into his parent's drive.

"It'll be fine" He grabbed my hand and kissed it before getting out of the car. I did the same and retook his hand in mine as we walked up to the front door. It swung open just as we got there, revealing Liz. We both smiled, mine more nervous than Luke.

"Hi" She said, hugging her son and smiling at me. "Come in" She walked in the house and I gave Luke a confused look to which he shrugged before gesturing for me to step into the house before him. We walked into the kitchen where his parents were. His dad hugged us both before sitting back down.

"Why are you guys here?"

"We have something to tell you" Luke said. They looked at him expectantly. "Maddie's pregnant" He spoke. I looked at their faces, trying to judge their reactions. Andrew stood up again and hugged us.

"Congratulations, this is great news"

"Thank you" I replied.

"Pregnant?" We nodded. "How far along?"

"Three and a half months" I said, subconsciously looking down at my growing stomach. I looked back up at Liz to see her eyes had glassed over as if she was almost crying.

"My first grandchild" She said as she hugged Luke then me. "Thank you" She told me as she pulled away from the hug. I smiled at her, confused by her sudden kindness.

"How are you guys feeling about it all?"

"Scared" Luke admitted and I nodded. "But happy"

"You'll be great parents" Liz said and I smiled at her as Luke wrapped his arm around my shoulders and pulled me closer to kiss my cheek.

****

"I'm sorry for how I acted towards you, Maddie" Liz said as I got a drink from the kitchen whilst she cooked dinner. Luke and his dad were in the living room talking. "I should've been happy for Luke instead of wishing he'd chosen someone else. I can tell you both really love each other and I should accept that. Besides you're not who I thought you were, I've realised that from everything my husband and Luke's brothers have told me. Luke thinks the world of you and I'm glad that he found someone who makes him happy"

"Thank you. I'm sorry for being hostile towards you as well and for yelling that time"

"It's understandable. I wasn't exactly welcoming" I smiled at her before getting a bottle of water from the fridge. "Go back to your boyfriend" I nodded and smiled again as did she. I walked back into the living room and sat beside Luke.

"How'd it go?" He asked as his dad turned his attention to the TV.

"Well" He smiled and kissed my forehead.