39

2 years later

************************

"Where we go?"

"To see grandma and grandma" I told Mia.

"Weally?" I nodded as I put her shoes on her. She giggled and I smiled at her as she jumped off the edge of the bed. She was two now and Liz and Andrew had invited us over after they were away for her birthday last month. She was able to say a few words at a time and walked pretty much by herself.

"Ready?" She nodded. "Let's go"

****

"Mia"

"Nanna" She hugged Liz's legs before moving into Andrew.

"Hi, Maddie" Liz said as she hugged me.

"Hey"

"How are you doing?"

"I'm good, you?"

"Same as you" Truth is since my parents went back to New York about a week after Mia was born, Liz has been my life support. She's helped so much with Mia and helped me along the way. I've managed to avoid Luke over the past two years. He's never reached out to me and I feel he's made it clear enough that he doesn't want to be apart of our lives.

"Are Ben and Jack here? Mia kept talking about them the whole way"

"Jack and Celeste are out back" I nodded. "I need to tell you something first. Luke's coming with Ben. It wasn't intentional, we didn't realise Luke was coming home this weekend" Luke was working in some recording studio as a producer and song writer. He was doing well for himself but he was busy and barely came home, so Liz said, so it didn't surprise me that they had jumped at the chance to see him. Besides, he's their son.

"It's fine, I need to see him at some point. Plus he can finally see what he's missed out on" I told her, glancing over at Mia who was talking to Andrew.

"Mummy, where Uncle Jack?" I walked over to her and took her small hand in mine, guiding her towards the back door. The door and windows were open and I stopped after hearing voices. I peered out the window and saw Jack and Celeste, as Liz has said, but also Luke and Ben. I noticed the back gate was opening and assumed they'd come in that way in the time Liz and I were talking. I took a deep breath before stepping outside with Mia by her side. They didn't notice our presence until we got closer and Mia recognised Jack and Ben and shouted.

"Uncle Jack and Ben!" She squealed and ran over to them. I followed her and stood back a bit. Luke looked nervous as his eyes flickered from me to Mia. I didn't dare look at him.

"Hey, Maddie" Celeste greeted me before hugging me. Jack and Ben did the same whilst Mia swapped between them. "I didn't think you would come" Celeste said.

"Mia wanted to see her favourite people" I looked over at the little girl who smiled at the mention of her name and nodded in agreement with my statement. I took a seat next to Celeste and Mia came and tried to climb onto the outdoor sofa and onto my lap. I picked her up instead of her struggling and sat her on my legs.

"Mummy, who's this? He looks similar" She asked. I followed her glance to meet Luke. I gulped. I knew this would happen at some point.

"Familiar not similar, sweetie" She nodded and tried to say the word before looking back at me with confusion and then looking at Luke again.

"Who is he?"

"Mia, this is Luke. He's Jack and Ben's brother"

"Another uncle?" She exclaimed excitedly.

"No, sweetie, he's your daddy" She smiled wide as she turned to look at him again. Luke looked nervous as hell. I'd never seen him so nervous. "Luke, meet your daughter, Mia" She crawled out of my lap and hinted at me to put her down. I did as she said and she walked over to Luke and tried to climb onto him to which he helped her. She sat looking at him confused before poking his face all over. Finally she booped his nose.

"It looks like mine" She booped it again.

"You got it from me, baby girl" She smiled at the nickname.

"Where you been?" She asked him.

"I was busy and scared"

"Of what?"

"The responsibility of you" It fell silent between us all and Luke looked like he was going to cry. His eyes were glossed over and watery.

"Daddy, don't cry" He smiled slightly before putting Mia down.

"I-" He went to say something but cut himself off and went inside.

"Mummy?"

"Mm?"

"Is he OK?"

"I don't know, baby"