FLASHBACK- OLD ELMO'S AND NEW TABLETS

It was Christmas morning and I had actually been able to make it to Christmas Eve this year. Everyone was happy for once. I remember 3 days ago John had told me that if I got a report done he would let me get off of work 2 days earlier. Emily was only seven years old and Luke was only eleven. Emily pressed the button on her new elmo toy that danced and sang. I had heard that thing for hours on end. To be honest, I liked Christmas but, I hated whenever Charlotte bought her toys that made annoying noises.
Luke opened one the presents. I knew he would really like it. "Uh... Dad, you got me this for my birthday...."

"...Wait...I did?" I said. Then I remembered it. I did get him the same tablet for his birthday. "...Yeah..." Luke said awkwardly. "...That's ok...everything is returnable..." Charlotte said trying to end the awkward silence. I felt terrible. I really had forgotten that I had given Luke that for his birthday. "My turn!" Emily yelled. Emily ripped open the wrapping paper and pulled out the new stuffed bear. "It's beary!" Emily said as she hugged it. "Hey Luke, can you come here for a second?" Charlotte asked him. "Oh...Yeah..." Luke said as he got up and followed Charlotte out of the room.

"Honey, I know you're disappointed. But please just try to be happy, Christmas only comes once a year." Charlotte said as she put her hands on Luke's shoulders. "Dad got me the same present he got me for my birthday mom..." Luke said. "I know, I know, and I'm sorry about that. But all you ever talk about is how you wish that we would spend time as a family. And right now, we are all here. This is what you wanted, so just try to be happy, just try." Charlotte said. "...Ok..." Luke replied. Charlotte hugged him. "I have something for you, stay right here." Charlotte said. "Oh really? Ok." Luke said.

Charlotte went into her closet and opened a drawer. She digged around until she found the new baseball mitt that she had gotten for Luke. "Here you go." Charlotte said as she walked out and put the baseball mitt in Luke's hands. "Thanks mom." Luke said as he hugged her. "I love you, Luke." Charlotte said as she hugged him back. "I love you too, mom." Luke said.