CHAPTER NINE-WHEN HE WASN'T HIGH

"Hey Joe...I need to tell you something. And you need to tell your group..." I said. "Yeah..ok, you can tell me anything..." Joe said. "The risers are also in the ground.... We call them grave grabbers..." I said. "...Yeah, we know about them... Just outside of here...about 30 miles... it was terrible...they were rising up outta nowhere. It wasn't even a cemetery. That's how we lost some people...my sister...Latisha's boyfriend..., it was terrible." Joe said. I nodded. "It's too bad...we're losing people way too quickly in this world." I told Joe. "We're gonna last a lot longer if we all stick together..." Joe said to me. "Yeah, we will. And that's why we're gonna stick together." I said.

Joe and I carried Julia's body and arm out the spot where John and I buried Emily. I looked down at Emily's grave marked by a wooden cross. "You knew 'em didn't you?" Joe asked me. "She was my daughter, her name was Emily..." I said to Joe. "How old was Emily?" Joe asked. "She was eight years old..." I said. "...Wow" Joe said quietly. I wiped a tear from my eye. "But that's the way the world is now... I'm just dreading the day I'm gonna lose Luke or Charlotte." I said. "We don't have to get used to losing people...I'm not going too." Joe said. "Ok..." I said as I looked at him. I didn't want to lose my family. But I knew each of us were going to have our time. I wiped away another tear and handed Joe a shovel. We started digging a hole to the left of Emily's grave. I looked up at the golden tree I had remembered that day we buried Emily. A leaf fell from the tree and landed right by my foot. Fall was coming fast, and we needed to hurry up and get everything under control before winter got here.

Joe looked over at a grave grabber slowly pushing its hand through the dirt. "..Well the freaks come out at night.." Joe said laughing a little. I laughed a little too. Time had passed quickly. Joe was someone who was easy to talk to, and easy to trust. "I'm glad you all joined us. We all need each other. And the more there are of us, the stronger we are." I said to Joe. Joe nodded. "But before we can call ourselves strong, we need to get this situation under control." Joe said laughing. "Yeah..." I said as I just remembered all that happened today. We lost Julia early this morning, we almost got killed by a crazy marijuana man, and now it was 3:00 in morning and Joe and I were burying Julia.

I looked around the cemetery and saw a few grave grabbers. Then I looked up from the ground and saw a few people hiding in the bushes. "Shit..." I mumbled. Joe looked up at me then looked at the people in bush. "We weren't supposed to come back this way...." I said as I pulled out my gun. "But we went the other way that doesn't pass the building!" Joe exclaimed. I turned around and pointed Joe to look at the tall building with smoke coming out of the top of it. Then I saw the people marching around on the roof. Joe's jaw dropped. "We gotta go!" I said as I started to push dirt on top of Julia's grave. I looked at Julia's face and she disappeared into the ground, we would never see her again. "Come on! Come on!" I yelled to Joe trying to get him to hurry up and get in the car. "I'm coming!" Joe yelled back as he threw the shovels in the back and slammed the car door shoot. I sped out of the cemetery and I could hear the car tires throwing gravel up into the air.

"Eh, Rodriguez would you look at that!" Dajaun yelled across the roof to the Rodriguez. "Man that's the same damn car of dem wimps." Rodriguez said laughing. "Yeah, looks like we better tell boss man!" Dajaun said laughing as he opened the metal roof door and walked down the stairs to Taha. "Taha! Just the amigos I was looking for!" Dajuan said laughing. Taha turned around. "What's up brother?" Taha asked. "Dem wimps car, we saw it!" Dajaun said with excitement. You wouldn't be able to tell if he was truly excited or if he was just extermely high. "Nice going man! They wanna fight us, they wanna say they ain't afriad of us!" Taha said. Dajaun laughed. "Now Dajaun, boss man be pretty busy right now!" Taha said as he looked at his sister in the corner. Even Dajaun thought it was sickening that Taha raped his sister. And somehow he wished he could stop it.

Dajaun used to have a little sister. He acted like he didn't care about little kids, but he really did. His father used to beat him and his little sister. And then rape his mom. His mom would act like none of it happened. So that's why Dajaun left. He didn't want to deal with a childhood like that, so he decided to grow up at the age of 16. He felt bad about leaving his little sister behind and when he wasn't high, he thought about how he could redo everything and make it up to her. But it was too late now. Dajaun hadn't seen his sister or mother since the day he ran away, and that was three years ago. They probably wouldn't even recognize him now. This was what he thought about when he wasn't high.