chapter fourteen

Saturday morning finds Frank at church very early. He goes with his grandfather, but Frank really wants to be there today. He wants to sit alone and speak to his grandmother, ask her for her strength and her wisdom, but also to speak to God, asking for guidance and divine absolution.

Then, on Sunday, the whole family goes to mass and, as they sit in the back, Frank absorbs all these people in the church and their energy so he can sit still and feel calm. In the end, although he's distracted by Father Way's presence by the altar and once again enthralled by Father Way's sermon, Frank doesn't get so worked up today. He spent most of last night awake, trying to come to terms with his own anxiety and well, he feels a little better today.

It's weird to see Father Way in the vestry after the service is finished, but Frank and the rest of his family have to go there because his mother is involved in various community activities. Frank remains quiet the whole time and barely smiles back at Father Way, because it's weird to see him smiling after Friday. They were so tense when Frank got out of the car that it's very hard to pretend that everything is alright. Frank just wishes he could go home already, lock himself in his bedroom for a couple of hours and scream into his pillow.