Chapter 1: Shut Up and Let Me Go

"Amy! Amy, wait!"

"No, Michael, no!" She shook her head firmly, shoving the entrance door open, marching out of the Glendale Galleria shopping center and down the broad inclined walkway. She was heading towards the parking structure as Michael chased after her, hoping she'd get to her car before he got to his. Normally, she was happy to spend some time with him for old time's sake but the last thing she needed, the last thing she wanted was to feel vulnerable, helpless, in the one place she hated most in the world. No way was she going back there, not now. Not today. Not ever...that is, if she could help it.

"Amy please, stop!" He cried. "This is serious. You have to listen to me."

Ignoring his pleas, she quickened her pace, determined to reach her car at all costs. "Leave me alone, Michael!" Reaching her car a minute later, she reached inside her green Hedge hog print purse and hastily dug around for her car keys. Where were they? Come on, come on! She had to get out of here! Unfortunately, Michael was at her side less than a minute later.

"Amy, please

"Amy, please..." He pleaded, setting his hand on her shoulder but she quickly pulled away and shot a glare up at him through her deep brown eyes. "We need to get this taken care of, sooner rather than later."

She exhaled sharply. "We? There is no we. This isn't your problem, Michael, it's mine, and I can deal with it on my own."

"Honey, listen to me, you could have an appendicitis and if you don't get it taken care of, it could rupture, and if that happens, you could die. Do you really want that?"

Crossing her arms firmly over her chest, she stood her ground. "Michael, please, just leave me alone."

"Amy, I'm telling you, not as your doctor but as your friend...you need to get this checked out as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the worse--"

"Stop!" She insisted, holding up a hand to silence him

"Stop!" She insisted, holding up a hand to silence him. Slipping her hand back inside her purse, she found her car keys and turned to unlock the door. "I'm not going to the damn hospital, and there's nothing that you or..." Her voice trailed off as a sharp pain shot through the right side of her abdomen, both of her hands instantly going to her side as she cried out in pain. "Owwww...oh God, Michael! It hurts! It really, really hurts!"