Chapter 12: Crime & Punishment

( The Next Night )

     Listening wearily to her fifty-some year old, grey haired and wrinkly-faced instructor, Amy leaned back in her seat, propping her elbow up on the desk and leaning her cheek against her hand. She glanced up at the clock on the wall to her left. It was already 8:30, another half hour and they should be out of there. Noticing her phone light up out of the corner of her eye, she looked down at the device on her, smiling softly when she saw she had a new text message from Andrew. Pulling up the screen, she read his text, her heart warming at his thoughtfulness.

Hey. How's my little firecracker doing tonight?

She smirked as she typed a response back that read: Tired, but I'm fine. You? She glanced over at her teacher, pretending as if she were listening to what he was saying even though she was really waiting for Andrew to reply to her. A minute later, he sent her another message.

Ditto. These 12 hour shifts are kickin my ass. I'm barely heading home.

She blinked in astonishment and quickly typed back: Ugh, you really have the suckiest job ever. Go home already!

One of these days, she was going to have to sit him down and ask him why he even bothered becoming a doctor anyway. He didn't really seem as if he enjoyed it. After all, he was a rock star. Being a doctor and being a rock star were two completely different professions that had absolutely nothing in common. Why would he choose medicine instead of going off to get a record deal with his band? That's what she had wanted to do on her own years ago. Well...until she realized that becoming famous was pretty unrealistic. Nowadays, you couldn't get anywhere in the music or acting business unless you had the proper connections. Even living in Hollywood, just a few blocks away from movie studios like Warner Brothers and Paramount Pictures, didn't guarantee that someone could become famous.

I am! Hey, at least it pays the bills, right? Andrew replied.

He did make a good point. Was that the real reason why he was doing it? For the money? That was a pretty shitty reason. Well, she could be wrong. She typed back a response, admitting he had a good point.

You doing anything tonight? He asked.

Her eyes narrowed considerably. Exuding a deep sigh, she rolled her eyes towards the ceiling before she typed her reply. Duh. He didn't know she was in class. I'm in class right now. I have it on Thursday nights. Sorry baby. 

She scowled deeply as she sent off her message, wondering what it was he had planned anyway. Whatever it was, it was probably something damn good, maybe romantic. God she hoped it was romantic! She melted whenever a guy did something like that for her. As little as they'd seen of each other with his job getting in the way, she recalled all those sweet moments when Michael surprised her with flowers or took her to a fancy restaurant. Her heart ached just thinking about it. She shook her head firmly. No, don't think about Michael. Andrew was her boyfriend now. She had to push Michael out of her mind and move on. No matter how hard it seemed.

Damn, I forgot about that. OK, how about tomorrow night? Dinner and a movie?

She smiled softly, a twinge of excitement in her belly as she typed back to him:  Awesome, I can't wait! 

Their first date. God, what would she wear? Maybe she should go buy herself a new outfit. Wait, she had a few sexy dresses in her closet. She was sure of it. She could wear one she bought for dance camp last year.

I'll pick you up at your place then. How's 8 sound?

Telling him that it sounded good, she bid him a "see you tomorrow, handsome, x-o-x-o," to which he replied back with: "take care beautiful, x-x." Her heart beat a little faster at his good-bye.