Chapter 35: Only Hope

When 2:30 p.m. rolled around, Emma decided Andrew was stable enough to be moved to a step down unit, the regular recovery unit. She was even nice enough to get him his own room. It wasn't a fancy VIP suite, but at least he didn't have a room mate. Well, not yet anyway. Once Emma left him by his lonesome in the PACU, there was nothing more to do but lie there staring up at the ceiling, and continue worrying about Amy. At least until his medicine kicked in. As soon as it did, he quickly found himself drifting off into a deep slumber.

While a few hours sleep had helped pass the time in the PACU, now, almost an hour later, he laid in his monitored hospital bed, flipping wearily through channels on the TV across the room. It was times such as these that made him miss his flat screen, 1080p plasma TV with premium cable channels. As much money as Cedars made, he still couldn't believe that they hadn't gotten around to upgrading their cable. It was the 21st century for crying out loud. What were they waiting for? 2020?

He sighed deeply, finally settling for watching a rerun of King Of Queens. For what felt like the thousandth time, he glanced at the clock on the wall. Shifting restlessly beneath the covers, his gaze shifted to the door, then the nurse's button beside the bed. He debated whether or not he should press it, if, for no other reason then to get Emma back, so she could take him up to see Amy. Trying as he might to get comfortable, he shifted once more, but it was no use.

How could he get comfortable when the love of his life was one floor above him in a coma? At least if he were asleep, he could get his mind off his worries for a few hours but with so many thoughts in his head, he'd be lucky if he could silence his brain long enough for that. Glancing back at the clock, he exhaled sharply and turned to grab the nurse's button.

 Glancing back at the clock, he exhaled sharply and turned to grab the nurse's button

Emma waltzed into the room with a smirk on her face. "Afternoon, Romeo. How's my favorite patient doing? Enjoying your new digs?"

 How's my favorite patient doing? Enjoying your new digs?"

He rolled his eyes, turning onto his backside. "Impatient. If you won't take me up to see Amy, then give me 10 ccs of Versed so I can go back to sleep. I'm bored out of my mind."

Her brows stitched. "I thought I was the doctor? Now you're prescribing your own medications?"

"Come on Em, give me something. I can't stay this way much longer."