Chapter 34: Tonight I Wanna Cry

Michael had only spent about a half an hour tending to patients, when Courtney arrived at the ER with her older brother, Zack, insisting on knowing the status of her condition. Fortunately, he had gotten a couple of her labs back shortly after their arrival, the results of her ultrasound and her head CT. He was still waiting on her blood work.

To his relief, the ultrasound ruled out any internal bleeding, and the CT only showed signs of a concussion. Courtney and Zack were relieved, but he still had his doubts about whether or not she would wake up. It was still too early to tell. However, that didn't stop him from formulating a plan B in the event that she didn't. With her unstable vitals, he had radiology move Amy up to the ICU.

Now, almost two hours later, Courtney and Zack waited in the family room with Andrew's band mates, and Michael was signing off on a few charts at the front desk, waiting to hear back from the OR. He had faith in Emma and her abilities, and hoped she wasn't under any unnecessary pressure. Maybe he should go up and check on her. No. He didn't want to intrude while she was working. This was a delicate procedure. Showing up out of nowhere might cause her to make a dire mistake.

Noticing some movement out of the corner of his eye, he looked up, his heart beating a little faster when he saw none other than, Emma, heading in his direction. From the lack of tears in her eyes and the exhaustion on her face, it reassured him that things had gone well, at least he was hoping they had. Swallowing the huge lump in his throat, he set down the chart and gave her his undivided attention. As she approached the desk, so did his fellow co-workers.

"Hey..." He said quietly, "how'd it go?"

    She glanced at the small crowd around the desk, then focused her doe eyes on Michael with a somber expression

She glanced at the small crowd around the desk, then focused her doe eyes on Michael with a somber expression. "It was touch and go for a bit, but overall the surgery went well. I found the source of the bleeding, and was able to repair it in time. I had to call in Dr. Kulber to perform a rhinoplasty at the last minute, but other than a couple fractured ribs and the fact that he's still on a ventilator, he's in recovery and in stable condition."

Michael breathed a sigh of relief along with everyone else. He was taken somewhat off guard by their applause but smiled softly. "I think that means they're proud of you."

Emma smiled softly. "Apparently."

"