Chapter 25: You've Been Warned

Slipping out of her VW bug, Amy tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear and strolled across the small lot towards the Los Angeles Crime Lab. When she was in the shower, her music had been interrupted by another call from Crime Scene Investigator, Steve. He was checking up on her again and this time, he sounded worried, really worried. While she hadn't gotten a chance to talk to him, the tone of his voice on the message he left her had been proof enough. 

He mentioned stopping by her place last night but Courtney told him she wasn't home. While he'd left her a similar voice mail a little over a week ago, the heartfelt concern and desperation to hear from her, just to make sure she was all right, weighed heavily on her heart. She had been avoiding him long enough and it was time to take action. He had been genuinely nice to her and had even saved her life. Just because one stupid judge had denied him an arrest warrant for Victor and set him free on bail, she had no reason to punish him by cutting off all communication.

With her partially damp hair pulled up into a high ponytail, Amy stepped up onto the curb and approached the glass doors, stepping inside shortly after. She approached the familiar curly haired receptionist at the desk, asking her if Steve was around and informing her that she was a friend. The woman said he was and asked for her name. She gave it to her and the woman told her to wait a moment as she called to Steve over the loudspeaker.

"CSI Jennings, you have a visitor at reception. Jennings, please report to reception."

The receptionist handed her a visitor badge. She thanked the woman, pinning the badge to the belt loop of her jeans and crossing her arms firmly over her chest, pacing back and forth anxiously, trying to formulate an explanation for why she refused to return Steve's calls. Unfortunately, nothing was coming to her. Before she could contemplate it any further, she noticed a familiar figure approaching out of the corner of her eye. Stopping in her tracks, she looked up and saw Steve walking towards her, clad in dark denim jeans and a black polo shirt. He looked the same as when she last saw him, except his hair looked a couple inches shorter. 

She feigned a friendly smile as he neared closer

"Amy!" He cried, his eyes lighting up with a smile. "I'm so glad to see you, darlin!'" Much to her surprise, he came up to her, wrapping his arms around her shoulders and pulling her into a friendly hug, his hand rubbing warmly against her back. "I been worried sick about you. How've you been?"

She lifted a tentative hand, patting his back encouragingly. "I've...been better, feeling better." Well, not counting last night, but being that he was a cop, she knew it would be better to leave her drunk and disorderly conduct out of this visit, or better yet, out of his earshot completely. It wasn't any of his business and she had been fortunate enough to dodge that bullet back at the ER, when Michael could have called the police and reported her. Sometimes it paid to have friends on the inside.