Chapter 15

Connie and Jacob had been trying hard for a baby for the past month or so, but to no success. Connie had started her period indicating that yet again she was not pregnant.
She went downstairs to Jacob who was making breakfast in the kitchen and wrapped her arms around him with a sad sigh.
"Baby? You ok?" he asked.
"I've started my period" she replied.
Jacob sighed sadly and kissed the top of her head, "I'm sorry" he said.
"You have nothing to be sorry for, I suppose it's just not meant to happen right now" Connie said.
"But it will baby, it may take more time but it will happen" Jacob told her.

"But we haven't got time Jacob! I know this is what you've been telling me but I thought it would happen. I've realised its not happening and Grace isn't isn't stupid, I'm not pregnant and she's going to realise I've been lying to her!" Connie said.
They both turned around as they heard a gasp and the sound of glass shattering on the floor.
"Mum... How could you do that to me?" Grace asked as tears began to fall down her cheeks.
"Grace, sweetheart I'm so sorry" Connie said as she moved towards her but Grace stepped back, "don't, don't come near me!" she sobbed before running out of the kitchen.
"Go after her, I'll clean the glass up" Jacob said.
Connie nodded and smiled weakly as he kissed the top of her head before she left the kitchen.

"Grace? Can I come in?" she asked as she knocked on her daughter's bedroom door.
Grace didn't respond, just continued sobbing whilst clutching the tiny baby grow they had bought.
Connie sighed and opened the door, her heart breaking as she saw her daughter in pieces.
"I'm so sorry" she said.
"You lied to me mum! I was so happy, I thought I was going to have a little brother or sister and you've taken it all away! The one good thing!" Grace cried.
"I didn't want to hurt you, but I couldn't face telling you the truth. It hurt to much to think about it, so I thought I'd be able to get pregnant quick enough so you'd never have to know the truth, I suppose I was just naive" Connie told her.

"But I don't understand, I saw the pregnancy test! It said you were pregnant, or was that just some kind of game to trick me into accepting you and Jacob?!" Grace said.
"No! Not at all! I took the test because I didn't feel well when I woke up, I thought it was morning sickness. The test confirmed that, so I booked a scan. Me and Jacob went, but the doctor told me there was no baby. The test was a false positive" Connie explained.
"But you should of told me that mum! It's not fair!" She cried.
"I know, and Jacob wanted me to tell you, he wanted to tell you but I made him go along with it because I thought you would never have to find out. I just thought I'd get pregnant almost instantly, it was that easy with you!" Connie told her.
"Then maybe for once I actually like Jacob more than you! Atleast he was trying to look out for me!" Grace shouted through her tears.

"I was trying to look out for you! You told me you were happy when you found the test and I didn't want to upset you so I decided I'd try to give you what you wanted. Grace I am so sorry I've hurt you" Connie said.
"It's too late, I can't forgive you mum. I'm going back to dad. This isn't about you and Jacob anymore, this is about me and you, about the baby that never even existed. I'm going back because he would never lie to me about something like this!" Grace said, "so ring him, ring him now because I want to go home" she added.
A stray tear rolled down Connie's cheek as she nodded, "ok, I'll call your dad" she said.