Chapter 22

Those eyes...

I stepped backwards, then another few steps until I was inside of Bane's office once more.

His near black hair was perfectly cut and slicked back. His chiseled features and intense jaw line. His broad shoulders and tall figure. His purple eyes.

A mirror image of the man I had seen every night in my dreams. I couldn't move. I was frozen stiff as his eyes met mine. He did say he'd see me later on... but I didn't think he actually would.

"How could you? Bane we had made an agreement! I said no and what do you do? Exactly the opposite of what I said. If you weren't my brother, I would kill you right now." His husky voice said in an angry tone. He was very attractive, I had to admit. Bane tossed his head back and laughed.

An arm snaked around my waist and pulled me tight against his body. Bane smelt of iron, probably blood, and cheap cologne. I squirmed around under his heavy gripped arm but he wouldn't budge. "Brother, don't be so dramatic. Little Arianna and I were merely having a conversation. Weren't we?" He blew hot air against me cheek as he spoke. Having Bane's eyes and that mysterious guy's eyes made my cheeks grow hot and my heart jump around in my chest. "No. You kicked me in the stomach." I grumbled. His smirk widened as he let go of me and stalked towards his brother, leaving me standing there awkwardly. "You're hilarious Arianna. Really. See? There's no need to worry Pierce." Pierce? What kind of name was Pierce?

The one known as Pierce turned to his brother and narrowed his thick eyebrows. "It's one thing to go against my orders a decade ago, but now you're taking her? Bane I am tired of cleaning up after you. There is already a huge search party after her. A part of that search is the council men." My eyes widened. So someone was looking for me! They cared! Restored hope flooded my heart. Maybe I wasn't so alone. "I'm not worried of those weak things. Besides, I knew how mad you would get when I had orders for her to be taken so I thought I'd make a little bribe with you." Bane was playing his own brother. What kind of twisted family did this?

It felt odd to watch this all play out. Bane was relaxed and grinning. But Pierce was tense and frowning. "I'm not taking any of your bribes.'' Pierce answered quickly. This must be an on-going thing. "Hey did you know that one of our guys nearly died just bringing her in?" Bane laughed hysterically as if his men meant nothing to him. My face twisted in disgust, not because of the memory but more because of how sick Bane was. "What? What are you talking about?" Pierce crossed his arms skeptically. "Shadow, I think, crashed the car and the girl had to pull out his sorry ass and revive him. Imagine that. Wouldn't you run for the hills? She must not be in her right mind." Pierce narrowed his eyes at Bane then did a once-over on me. I felt self conscious under his mere glance. Something about the conversation felt... Plastic.

"What other drama occurred?" Pierce sounded rather annoyed. I was getting tired of standing here. Shadow must have left because he was no longer standing in the doorway. "Hmm, well she escaped out of a hotel and ran off with some street whore. Then Fabian or Shadow or whoever got rid of the whore and brought the brat back here." Bane said in deep thought, as if he had horrible memory.

I felt heated when he talked of Nova in such a horrible way. How could he act as if a life meant nothing? Feeling bold, I said "Don't speak about her like that!" My voice came out clear, but shaky. Bane and Pierce both looked my way. I held my chin up and narrowed my eyes at Bane. He had a twisted grin on his face. "Why not Arianna? Why are you defending a pathetic street whore, that's been used and passed around. Come to think about it, maybe I slept with her last week." I couldn't help but grimace. Bane was a sick son of a bitch. "You know nothing about Nova so how could you talk about her like that?" My voice came out quiet and weak.

I felt mixed emotions once again. I was scared to he here, I felt alone and sad yet I felt hopeful to get home again. Bane leaned in close to my face. "That little slut got what she deserved." He said slowly, trying to dig at me. It was working. I don't know why I took such a personal offense to this, but she didn't deserve her name being pulled through the dirt. Even more so, she didn't deserve what they had did to her. I shook my head and backed away from him. Bane only walked closer. He was so much taller then my short self that he had to bend over to look into my eyes.