The 'Dan' Smell

Summary: High school AU! Vacation has come at last and with it the separation of friendships until school starts again. Dan decides to visit his best friend Phil... again, just 6 days after his last visit. However, something different happens in this particular one.

I was here again with Phil, at his house.

It seemed that even after school, I couldn't keep myself from him.

What was wrong with me? Or more importantly, what was wrong with him for allowing this?

I knew he was seeing me as a friend and, granted, friends do visit each other, but really? Once every week for three weeks straight? And on top of that messages and calls every day?

I wouldn't question it normally, but he did know that I had a crush on him which made the whole situation even more confusing from my perspective.

I was currently sat at the foot of his bed. He was sat cross-legged on the bed with me except my legs were dangling off the edge, not wanting to take off my shoes out of laziness.

I just admired him, loving eyes taking in his comfortable form. He was adorable, with a slight smile resting naturally as he scrolled past his photos on his iPad. I loved his hair like that-- a mess of black tangles on top of his head. His legs and arms were pale and slender. His style of clothing was always a comfy tee and shorts, with mismatched socks to complete the look. It never failed to annoy me just how much being "Phil Lester" made me undone and melt at his feet. He never had to do anything, and I loved him for it.

I jolted awake when he waved me over, excited. "Dan! Come look," he said. I grinned and flopped forward on top of the pillows on his bed. I glanced at the iPad as he tapped on a picture of a white female with long, silky, yellow hair sporting a charming smile.

"Sarah Michelle Gellar is so cute!" he gushed. I laughed despite my inner demons muttering a curse towards this Sarah.

He moved over and sniffed me. I pushed myself backwards, wondering if I smelled. "There it is again. Your scent is so strong today."

Ah yes. He was always going on about "the 'Dan' smell," and I never had any idea what the crap that was. He once commented about how his room smelled of 'Dan' after I visited for the first time.

"And what the hell is that smell supposed to be?" I asked, amused. He smiled and sniffed the pillow my torso was lying over moments ago.

"Hmm, like really clean alcohol."

I sniffed my hand. Nothing. "I don't smell like anything."

"Well, duh! You can't smell it. It's your smell."

I giggled. He was so quirky and cute, I wanted to bang my head on a lamp.

I knew what he smelled like, so it did make some sense. I couldn't really describe the smell off the top of my head, but I knew what it was.

"I know your smell," I told him. He was intrigued.

"Really? What do I smell like?"

"Hmm," I looked away from him in thought. "I don't know."

He slumped his shoulders. "Boo," he pouted cutely.

Gah! Stop!

I decided to take advantage of the situation like the clever fox that I was. I held out a hand. "Give me your hand," I asked. He looked only slightly startled for only a second before once again hiding behind his mask.

"Okay..." He placed his right hand on my left. I brought it to my face and sniffed.

God, what I wouldn't give to kiss him right now.