Scars Tell The Saddest Stories

TW: Angst, depression, self-harm, generally v sad, but don't worry as I am a fan of happy endings!

Summary: Phil had a bad habit before he met Dan. He was sad, he felt useless, and the voices in his head were taunting... but that was years ago. He was okay now that he had Dan beside him, but triggering images weren't hard to find.

Blood. Beautiful blood. Not quite like water which flows like a river. Blood oozes, a non-stop viscous waterfall that only ceases when the beating of the human heart finishes its march.

But how did Phil get there?

Everything starts with a normal day.

Phil woke up a few minutes past eleven in the morning. He untangled himself from the bedsheets and wobbled his way to check on Dan in his room. He pushed the handle down, and the door creaked open to reveal a bundle of a dark duvet with a few toes and a curly mop of unruly brown hair peeking from either end. Phil walked over and lay beside the bundle, wrapped his arms around his boyfriend's waist before he nestled his face in the curly locks.

The body stretched and its face turned to look at Phil. Brown eyes dusted with sleep blinked up at ocean blue ones, and Dan smiled.

"'Morning, love." Phil kissed Dan's cheek, and the latter's smile grew wider. The brunet leaned in and pecked his boyfriend on the mouth. "Good morning, Phil."

"How was your sleep?" Phil inquired as usual. Dan closed his eyes as if the word was enough to send him back into the peaceful abyss.

"Immaculate," he replied.

"Breakfast?" Phil offered, his mouth nearly watering at the thought of eating cereal. Dan opened his eyes and met Phil's again. "Don't you mean lunch?"

Phil chuckled. "Whatever."

Dan snuggled up closer to Phil's chest and buried his face under the black-haired male's chin. "I'd rather stay and cuddle with you."

Phil had never agreed more,

but the cereal was so tempting.

Boyfriend or cereal...?

"Breakfast in bed?" Phil insisted. He felt Dan shake with laughter, seeing through his façade.

"You just want cereal, don't you?"

Phil kissed his hair, smiling at how much his best friend knew him. "I'll be right back."

And he did with two bowls of cereal drenched in too much milk and two mugs of warm coffee on a tray.

"Here you go, sir~" Phil said in an overly posh voice. Dan giggled.

"Why thank you, kind servant."

"Servant?" Phil asked in his normal voice, amused. He sat beside Dan on the bed and set the tray over their laps with the stands on either side of their legs. "I prefer butler. Servant is too degrading; at least butler has some class in it."

"Peasant then?" Dan retorted, pleasantly chewing a spoonful of Lucky Charms. Phil rolled his eyes.

"I just said butler!"

"Oh yes, butler suits you nicely~"

"Dan!" Phil's cheeks tinted with a slight red hue which he covered with his coffee mug. The hot liquid travelled down his throat and singed his tongue slightly.

Dan grabbed his phone and immediately tapped on the Tumblr app. He silently scrolled through Tumblr and ate with his left hand and held Phil's hand with his right.