Chapter One - Chiharu

21st March 2011

I scrub at the kitchen counter. I have half an hour to make the apartment before Hajime gets home from work. He'll literally kill me if there's a single speck of dirt left.

Why did I ever fall for him? I thought he was nice. He was at first. Until we moved in together last year, he just changed.

I wish I could just leave, but I can't. I'm worthless. There's no way I can stand on my own two feet. I'll be all alone.

My parents are dead because they were killed. I have no friends because he forced me to stop talking to them.

I'm literally stuck here as his personal maid. I guess I deserve it after all. I'm the worst fiancée ever. I deserve the way he treats me. If I was a better person he wouldn't need to treat me this way, right?

I head to the bedroom and tidy things up. I open my drawer to place things inside and I see my favourite book laying inside. I pull it out and smile at it, I open the first page to see a note inside. This was the first gift he ever gave me.

Chiharu-chan,

I love you more than anything, so I'd be happy if you could accept this book from me. I hope you enjoy the story.

Love from,

Hajime

I close the book and place it back, a small smile on my lips. How I miss those days. Everything was perfect. I was seventeen and madly in love with the boy who I had a crush on for as long as I could remember. I was so happy when I confessed my feelings to him and found out that he felt the same.

Now I'm not sure if I love him anymore. How can I love someone who treats me so poorly, even if I do deserve it?

I wish I could report Hajime to Kira, but wouldn't I be evil for that? Hajime loves me, and his way of showing that is by insulting me. It's not right, but it's not like I have anywhere else to go.

The door bursts open and I flinch. I slam the drawer shut and quickly leave the bedroom.

"Welcome home, Hajime-san." I say politely and bow slightly. I used to get away with calling him Hajime-kun until we moved in together. Now I have to treat him with the fullest respect.

"Is Dinner ready?" He asks harshly. I quickly look up and his arms are crossed. His brown hair is messy, from what I presume is caused by him running his hands through his hair several times. His brown eyes are cold and he continues to glare at me.

"Uh- I-I-" I stutter. I feel my heart begin to pound in my chest. "I-I w-was too b-busy cleaning, Hajime-san."

My head is forced to the side as his hand makes contact with my cheek. My eyes begin to water and I gingerly touch the place he hit with my fingertips.

"I'll be going out. I want this place spotless." He storms out of the apartment, slamming the door behind him. I sigh with relief. He's gone out to drink.

"Someone save me." I whisper.

An idea pops into my head.

I can just leave.

Everyone is so nice now, I could leave and beg someone to look after me.

But Hajime will just find me.

I look over at the door longingly. What happened to the man I fell in love with?

***

I browse the local news website. Something I can only do when Hajime isn't home. He's forbidden me from using my phone or laptop when he's around. He says it's unhealthy. I know he's just scared I'll join one of Kira's forums and post his name and his picture there.

One news article catches my eye.

Kira is looking for a woman aged between 21-26.

I open it up and read the article.

Kira has expressed his lack of a wife, and would like to find one. So if you're single and interested, there's a link below which will allow you to take a survey and see if you qualify!

Good luck!

I could enter it, nothing bad could happen. I'm not exactly single, but Hajime doesn't exactly treat me properly.

I open the survey up and look at the time, it's only six. Hajime won't be home for another few hours.

Name: Chiharu Kurosawa

Age: 24

Date of Birth: 14th May

Married: No.

Children: None.

Interests: Cleaning, cooking, reading.

Did you attend university?: Yes.

Please enter your grades from school and what degree you got (if you went to university): All As. Degree in history.

I click done and a message saying 'please wait while we analyse your answers' appears on the screen.

After several minutes another message appears.

Congratulations! You have been added to the shortlist. If you supply your E-Mail we'll be in touch in few days to explain what will happen from then on.

I type my E-Mail into the box below.

Thank you!

I close the web browser down and shut my laptop down. What did I just do?

***

I pretend to be asleep when I hear the front door open and slam shut.

"Do you have a girlfriend?" A woman's voice chirps. I don't recognise the voice. I sink lower into the covers and squeeze my eyes shut.

"Yeah, she's useless though. I much prefer you." Hajime flirts. "She's probably asleep and she's an extremely deep sleeper. She won't hear. Even if she does, she's too pathetic to do anything."

I try to ignore the pain in my chest caused by his sharp words. I cover my ears with my duvet and try to block out the sounds coming from the living room.

After hours of waiting, I finally fall asleep, slipping into the world of nightmares gratefully.

A/N: Did you like the first chapter? Comment your thoughts! 

I wasn't going to update until tomorrow but I finished the chapter and I have nothing better to do XD 

This is kind of a short chapter, it's just an introduction to Chiharu, so what are your thoughts on her? 

The next chapter will introduce my next main character called Katsumi! :3 

- Alice