Chapter 1: A Mother's Sacrifice

Three children played in the woods. They were all very young, their ages being seven, five, and three. Suddenly they saw smoke in the distance. The eldest of the children, a boy, quickly gathers them up and races towards the direction of the smoke.

Hidden behind a few bushes, they watch as their home burns down. Many people ran around, people that they did not know. A few held long sticks with noose-shaped ropes on the ends of them. That's how they held their mother. Their father lay, unmoving, upon the ground a few feet away.

"Where's the children River?" One of the men ask their mother.

Their mother half-shifts and growls at them. "I will never tell you anything."

"Don't make this anymore difficult than it has to be," he states. "We only want those immune to silver. Your mate didn't have to die."

"You will have to kill me too then, because I will never let you get your filthy hands on my children!" She screams and spits in his face.

The man wipes his face off and glares at her. "Very well then."

He snaps his fingers and another man steps forward carrying a long spear. Purple liquid dripped from the end of it. With a quick thrust of his spear, the childrens' mother falls to the ground and never breathes again.

The middle child makes to scream, but the son quickly covers her mouth. The youngest child, unaware of what's happened, sits against the trunk of a tree and watches her siblings with a confused expression. The young boy picks up his youngest sister and runs deeper into the forest. His other sister soon follows with tears running down her face.