Chapter 21: To Calm A Mind

"Silver wait!" I shout as I follow her through the woods. Did she even know where she was going?

"Quit following me!"

I run up to her and place my hands on her shoulders, forcing her to stop. "You are going to hurt yourself."

"I don't care!"

I frown at her. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing!" She exclaims sarcastically and kicks a rock. "Everything is perfectly fine."

"Silver, stop this."

"Why? Why do you even care?" She yells at me. "Why did you have to save me?"

"I saved you because I care. I'm still not sure why I care, but I do."

"Well you shouldn't," She growls, now in half-shift.

"Why not?"

"Because you will die too!"

I pull her to me and wrap my arms around her in a hug. She struggles against me at first, but eventually gives in a sobs into my shoulder.

"I'm not going to die anytime soon." I murmur.

"They probably all thought that," she replies, forcing a small smile onto her face.

"None of them were highly trained assassins."

Silver makes a small laughing sound and I smile. At least I had managed to improve her mood.

"Where are you going to go?" I ask.

"I don't know."

I think for a moment. "What if you stay here?"

"What for? The hunters found me near here. If they suspect that I'm still alive, they will come looking for me."

"They won't find you if you come with me."

She gives me a surprised look. "You mean with you and your fellow assassins that don't like me?"

"I can figure something out for you and your sister."

She freezes. "My sister isn't coming with me."

"What?" I ask, giving her a confused look.

"I'm sending her away," she answers.

"Why?"

"She's not safe with me."

"Perhaps not now, but she will be."

"No Jay," Silver says sternly. "If I send her away, she will have a much better life. She won't have to run or hide and she will be able to have friends."

"Do you think that's best?" I ask.

She nods her head. "I do."