Chapter 2: Past Dreams

I wake with a start and look around frantically. Realizing I was safe in bed at Alpha's house calmed me down and I soon lay back down and close my eyes. Knowing I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep, I let out a long sigh and get out of bed.

Once I am dressed, I head downstairs to find Alpha reading a book on the couch. He looks up with a smile. His smile quickly fades when I move closer and I knew that the symptoms from lack of sleep was showing.

"I'm guessing the insomnia hasn't gotten any better," he states.

Memories of the burning house and blood reappear in my mind and I quickly push them away again. "Nothing is working."

"I suppose I will have to find something else to try then," he sighs. "I've given you some heavy-duty sleep medication, but that doesn't seem to stop the nightmares."

"They are memories, not just dreams," I correct him. "Though they might as well be nightmares."

"Ya, ya," Kotami says sarcastically as she comes downstairs. "Our life sucks, we get it. After all, you point that out every single fricken day."

I glare at my sister. "What have I told you about cursing?"

She rolls her eyes and retorts, "What have I told you about being miserable?"

I frown, but she ignores it and states, "I'm heading out! See ya!"

I give her an irritated look as she quickly runs out the door. Alpha raises an eyebrow at me. "I'm surprised you're not running after her."

"What's the point?" I reply. "She will just leave anyways. Besides, I'm the one that would put her in danger."

Alpha stands up and places a hand on my shoulder. "That's nonsense. She wouldn't have lived this long if it weren't for you, Silver."

"She deserves better," I murmur. "I'm holding her back from the life she deserves. I'm trying to keep her hidden when it's me that needs to hide."

Alpha pulls me into a hug, his light blonde hair tickling my cheek. Before, I wouldn't have allowed this. But after living with him for nearly a month, and having him take such good care of my sister and I, we had quickly become friends.

"You shouldn't blame yourself for that," he says. "As her sister, you just want to keep her safe. It's only natural that you're a bit overprotective. Especially with the life you two live."

We say nothing for a while. I just stand there and let him hold me. It was comforting to have someone who cared. Before I met him, I had thought I would never have a true friend.

Finally I speak my thoughts. "Where do you think she runs off to all the time?"

Alpha shrugs. "Kotami is very sociable and has never had the chance to be until now. She's probably just found some friends is all."

"Ya," I reassure myself. "She probably just found some friends."