Chapter 11: The Truth Hurts

I run until I reach the cliff. Then I begin my search.

"Jay!" I shout repeatedly, hoping that he was nearby. We had much to talk about.

After about half an hour of yelling, he finally steps out of the brush. He glares at me. "What's all the yelling for?"

"We need to talk."

"Yes, well you could've waited instead of yelling at the top of your lungs in the middle of the forest."

Fair point, but this is important. "Why is everyone scared of you?"

"Humans are always scared of werewolves. Besides, I did throw a knife at one of them," he answers.

"That's not what I meant," I reply angrily. "Even the werewolves are scared of you. Why is that?"

"What has Alpha told you?" He asks, eyes turning yellow.

"He says you're dangerous," I answer.

"Do you think that?"

"I don't think that you'll hurt me."

He looks at me for a moment, completely expressionless. I wondered what was going on inside his mind. He opens his mouth to say something, but is tackled by a white wolf that suddenly bursts out of the woods.

I watch in shock as they tumble onto the ground. Jay managed to kick the wolf off of him, but the wolf continues his attack. The wolf bites him, but, instead of crying out, Jay bites back. Blood splatters the ground.

Finally, I get my senses together and manage to pull the wolf off of him. The wolf looks up at me and instantly stops his attack. Then he shifts, turning from a yellow-eyed white wolf to a blonde boy with hazel eyes.

"Are you out of your mind?" I exclaim, glaring at Alpha.

"You were in danger," he growls, refusing to remove his eyes from Jay.

Jay, still in half-shift, gets up and spits Alpha's blood onto the ground. He bares his elongated canines and growls, "Try that again."

Alpha narrows his eyes at him and I shout, "Stop it!"

"He is dangerous!" Alpha exclaims. "Why won't you listen to me?"

"Because you aren't always right!" I yell. "He has made no move to hurt me."

"No, but I will make a move to hurt you," Jay growls at Alpha.

"Jay, please," I beg.

Jay looks at me for a moment and then shifts back to his human form. Alpha watches cautiously.

"Tell her why you are dangerous," Alpha commands him.

Jay glares at him. "I am of no danger to her. I do not wish to harm her."

"Tell her or I will!" Alpha growls at him. Jay growls back, but says nothing.

"Very well then," Alpha sighs and turns to me. "He's an assassin, Silver. He kills people for a living."

I look at Jay in shock. "Is it true?"

"Yes," Jay murmurs. "It's true."

I take a step back from him. He quickly adds, "The people I kill are bad, though. I would never hurt you."

I shake my head and leave him and Alpha and to stand alone on the cliff.

.....................................................................

I look at Jay, expecting him to attack me now that Silver was gone. He didn't though. Instead, he continued to watch where she had disappeared into the woods.

"Why did you do that?" He asks.

"Because you would hurt her. It is better for her this way," I answer.

"I didn't want to hurt her," Jay says, shaking his head. Head down, he enters the forest himself.