Chapter 24: Monsters In The Night

I wasn't sure why I woke up, but something just felt wrong. I roll out of bed and quietly walk across the hall to Silver's room. Half-shifting, I listen. She makes sounds of distress on the other side of the door, so I enter.

"Silver?" I ask quietly, only to find that she's asleep. She tosses and turns in her sleep.

"No, no, no..." She murmurs. Then she screams, "Alpha!"

I wake her up and she looks around fearfully. Finally, she calms down and gives me a questioning look. "Jay?"

"You were having a bad dream," I state. "Was it about Alpha?"

She nods her head. "I have them often."

"Maybe Rain can find a way to stop them," I say hopefully. "We can ask next time we see her."

She shakes her head. "Alpha couldn't make them go away."

I don't say anything after that. After a while of silence, she asks, "Do you think I'm a monster?"

"Why would I think that?" I ask in surprise.

"Because wherever I go, death soon follows," she answers.

I take a seat next to her on the bed and place my hands on her face so that she's looking straight at me. "If you're a monster then I am a monster. Do you know why Alpha was scared of me?"

"No."

"The day we met, I had lost control on a full moon. I had escaped where Creed and Legend keep me and attacked him in the woods. He wasn't able to get away until I became human again in the morning."

Her blue eyes search my face. "I'm not scared of you."

I give her a grim smile. "I know you're not, and I'm not scared of you."

I release her face and move to leave, but she grabs my hand. I give her a confused look and she begs, "Don't leave."

I sigh and lay down next to her. She does her best to keep some distance between us but ends up with her arms wrapped around me anyways. In a matter of minutes, she was back asleep.