Chapter 14- Skeleton Posters and Piping Hot Coffee

Cameron’s POV- 10:34 am

Amanda and I sit in the waiting room of the hospital patiently waiting to hear what is going on with Eva.

Amanda grabs my hand and whispers, “I just don’t want anything to happen to her.”

“The nurse already told us that she will be fine, no matter what. She just has to wake up, which she will.” Amanda squeezes my knuckles tightly as I reassure her that Eva will be okay for the twenty third time since we sat down in these ugly, uncomfortable waiting room chairs. You would think that they’d make the chairs a little more comfortable considering that people sit here for hours on end while they wait for their loved ones to get better, or in some cases, die.

“Cameron? Amanda?” I look up to see who I assume to be Eva’s doctor standing in front of Amanda and I with a clipboard.

“Yes?” We both nod and wait for him to speak.

“Hi, I’m Dr. Lennox. I just came out here to make you aware of a few things about your friend. First, Eva just woke up and is doing a lot better—“

I cut Dr. Lennox off mid-sentence, “Oh thank goodness.”

“Yay!!!!!” Amanda jumps up and down in the middle of the waiting room and people begin to stare.  

“Sorry, continue.” After Amanda and I squeal in relief for a minute, we turn our attention back to Dr. Lennox and I request for him to finish what he had been saying.

“Well, you see, Eva’s condition is a lot more serious than you two may be aware of—“

Amanda’s hand starts to shake as I grasp it a little tighter and pray in my mind that Eva will be okay.

“Your friend has experienced something that we call a fugue state." Dr. Lennox is very serious. He explains what the term means as we listen intently. When he's finished Amanda and I nod veryfying that we understand.

"Room 426 B.” Dr. Lennox points left down a dimly lit hallway.

“Thanks.” I guide Amanda who still seems confused and we make our way to see our best friend.

Eva’s POV- 10:49 am:

“Eva! How are you feeling?!” I open my tired eyes to see Amanda as she leaps onto the end of the hospital bed I’m in.

“Pretty good.” I actually feel like shit but what good would sharing that do?

“We brought you a french vanilla coffee! Your fav!” Cameron hands me a warm Dunkin’ Donuts cup and I take a sip without testing the temperature first and burn my tongue a little.

“Good? I asked the lady for extra milk, just the way you like it!” Cameron looks at me and I nod.

“Yes, thanks.” I pause for a moment as they both examine the room and look back to me with caring eyes, “…guys I’m so confused. I’m so scared. I don’t even know why but this whole situation is just freaking me out.”

“Awh, hun. If you need to talk, we can talk.” I feel Cameron grasp my right hand and Amanda grab onto my left.

“But that’s the thing, I don’t even know what to talk about. It’s been like what? Three days? And I don't know anything about those three days. I don’t know, it’s just bothering me.” I stare at a poster of a skeleton as I talk.

"Well that's why we're here! We will tell you every little detail. You'll never believe what happened Eva." Amanda has a smile spreading from ear to ear. 

"We should get you home first though before overwhelming you with information, okay?" Cameron stops Amanda before she blurts out everything that happened in the three days of my state. 

"Fine. But only until you get home. I don't think that I can hold it in any longer!" Amanda squeals and I grin knowing that something incredible must have happened. It just sucks that I didn't get to live it.