Chapter 4

The porch swing. To Emily, more sacred than a church pew. And it provided much happier memories, ranging from blissful summers with her father, to Daniel professing his love for her for the first time. Ah, the memories that flood in when she feels that familiar breeze on her face, and hears the trademark squeak of its chains.

Sometimes she felt as if it was a hollow sentiment sitting there, thinking of her father, but it soon passed, and she began to think ahead. But, no, she couldn't seek solace in the future either, for that was a frightening thought. Turning into the very thing she intended to destroy was a poetic fate, but not the one she had planned for herself.

A peaceful Daniel was busy, reading the morning newspaper on the couch with a cup of coffee. He had decided that he rather liked this getting up early business. After having nearly two weeks to adjust. After all, in about 6 months, it would be routine whether he liked it or not. He looked forward to the day he and Emily were parents. He thought motherhood would suit her well.

Peace and quiet seemed to echo over the whole area. Not a single beach-goer was out. Not one dog could be heard barking. It was as if it were a ghost town, and there were no inhabitants at all.

The beautiful sunrise. Painting the sky in a fluorescent rainbow of colour. The likes of which wouldn't be seen regularly. Peace doesn't come easily to Emily, and hasn't for quite a while. But here, now. She was at peace.

She sat, with her own mug of coffee, getting ready to begin her day. Just as she was about get up from her seat, out of the corner of her eye, she saw a dark-haired figure plunge from the balcony at Grayson manor. She whispers to herself 'Oh my God...' before roaring 'DANIEL!' She began to breathe heavily as she ran her fingers through her golden strands of unruly hair that had left her ponytail.

An alarmed Daniel rushed out of the beach house 'What is it Ems? Are you hurt? What's wrong?' Emily silently pointed a limp finger towards Grayson manors balcony. Daniel crouched next to the swing, put his hand on her knee and replied softly 'What is it Ems?' Emily gulped and whispered through newly emerging tears 'I think your mother just killed herself...'

© Sarah Egan 2013 - 2014 This story is subject to copyright and may not be copied or reproduced without the express permission of the author.