Chapter 11

For those of you reading this who play, watch or even know about field hockey, you'll know that life is like a short corner. Sometimes, it's okay to shy away from or shirk your responsibilities, or the consequences of your actions, sometimes that's even the right thing to do. But sometimes, you need to run at them, face them head on, so that they don't get the better of you. So the other team don't score another goal.

This lesson, Emily Grayson was about to learn. She had spent too long shying away from Victoria. Avoiding running at her problems. She couldn't let Victoria get away with this.

The sunset was beautiful. The colours converged into an amazing rainbow of pink, orange, red and yellow. She was greeted by bracing winds as she got off the plane, and memories flooded back. She could instantly recall memories of Daniel screaming her name, and getting in front of the bullet that should've killed her. Time goes on, seasons change. This joke was not lost on Emily, as the same clearly applied to the Hamptons, the playground for the rich, and entitled, and as herself and Daniel had so fondly nicknamed it, the land where time stood still. She was expecting to have the invasive sun penetrate her sunglasses, but instead, it was dark, dreary an dim.

Her thoughts were turned to the future. She thought ahead to the next few hours. She mentally went through her plan. Again and again. Over and over. She knew that even the best laid plans can go awry, and that every plan has a weak point. She knew this plans weak point, and she knew it was crucial that she stick to it, so as not to be caught.

She knew that the police would be coming for Victoria soon, so as soon as she landed in New York, she got into her rental car, and drove straight to Grayson Manor. Even the thought of that horrible place sent chills up her spine. She could only imagine what kind of a state Victoria had worked herself into.

She parked by the beach, in an effort not to be seen immediately by anyone. She began to comb the beach, and looked out over the water. She remembered the evening when she had run into Jack Porter. As she was walking, she was looking to her right over the ocean, and didn't notice the tall slim figure drawing ever nearer... He was sitting in the sand, legs splayed, and resting his arms on his knees. As Emily got closer, he looked over at Emily. He stood to address her, and she realised that she knew who he was. She knew him very well.

The moonlight captured the other half of his face, and enveloped it in light. Emily looked up to his contoured face, and looked into the eyes of Nolan Ross. He looked just the same, sandy blonde hair, and a casual white linen shirt, and rolled up red jeans. 'Just the same Nolan as ever. Don't you know that you aren't supposed to wear white after labour day'. She gave him a condescending look and smiled her signature faint smile at him. 'I heard you were going to storm the castle.' He replied, as he leaned against a rock jutting out from the shoreline, spraying a spurt of foamy water upwards in a poetic leap 'What's up, Ems?' He said in his deep, gravelly tones.

This was the beginning of the end for queen Victoria Grayson and her reign of terror over the elite Hampton's rich and famous.

© Sarah Egan 2013 - 2014 This story is subject to copyright and may not be copied or reproduced without the express permission of the author.