Chapter One: Sickness

Papyrus walked around in his usual stance, head held high and a smile gracing his face. His brother walked beside him. They were heading towards Sans' sentry station in Snowdin near the ruins. Sans walked lazily as usual. Pretty much asleep on his feet. Papyrus constantly stopped to make sure he caught up. Everything seemed normal, but something wasn't right. As Papyrus stopped again for his brother, he held his chest. Sure, he didn't have a stomach, but if he did, it would be damn near aching right now. Sans, still practically sleeping, didn't notice though. Papyrus was okay with that.

What Paps wasn't so okay with was leaving Sans at his post all alone. Sure, he'd done it many times, but he always was worried about something. Some unknown fear that spawned at the thought of a human actually arriving! Sans never knew this, but Paps has always been aware of the resets! He was aware that at any moment, the child they called Frisk could fall and kill everyone! That's what made him so uneasy. 

"What if Frisk falls down today?" thought Papyrus, a drop of sweat rolling down his skull. "What if they fall down, and turn out to be dangerous!? What if they see my brother and KILL him!?!? Oh god..." 

Papyrus stumbled light-headed and fell backwards, alerting Sans. 

"Papyrus?!" shouted Sans worriedly. Papyrus was motionless on the ground, laying on his back in the snow, hand on his chest. "PAPYRUS!!!"

Sans tried to shake him awake, but no success. Sans got scared. Inside Papyrus's skull, thoughts of his brother's death and that it would be his fault were flying around and raining down on him like a hurricane. His eye sockets hurt at the back and his skull was pounding. He knew he was asleep, but didn't attempt to wake up. Until he heard his brother's call....

"Pa...rus!" 

S-Sans?

"PAPY...US!!!"

Sans?!

"HELP!!! ANYBODY HELP!!!"

SANS!!!!

Papyrus's eyes opened and in seconds flat he was on his feet! The first thing he saw was a terrified Sans.

Had he seen Frisk? Did Frisk ATTACK him!?

Papyrus acted without thinking and stepped towards Sans, picking him up

"W-what the-!?" was all Sans could say before Papyrus started running home.

When they arrived, Papyrus quickly set Sans on the couch and looked out the window to make sure Frisk hadn't followed them, if they were down here yet. When the coast was clear he shut the curtains and locked the door without hesitation. Sans looked at him confused.

"B-bro?" he asked. "You alright?"

"Well now I am knowing that you're home safe." Papyrus replied."Thank goodness I woke up! I don't even know what you saw, but I don't care! I won't risk you going out there again!"

Sans looked at him puzzled, until he caught on. His calling for help must have scared Papyrus to death! Sans got up and walked over to his brother slowly.

"Paps, it's fine," he said.

"What?"

"Everything's okay. I didn't see anything. I was freaking out because you passed out in the snow as we were walking and I thought you were hurt or...or worse."

Sans was hesitant to say those last words. He then looked up only to see a shocked and...scared?...Papyrus.  Paps couldn't believe it. HE was the reason Sans was so scared!

"What have I done?!" he thought to himself. "I'm a horrible brother! I scared my own brother! He could've been hurt while I was blacked out! What kind of brother am I!? I always mess something up! Yet I wonder why I'm not in the Royal Guard! I couldn't save someone to save myself! Sans, I'm so sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I-"

"PAPYRUS!" Sans yelled. "Snap out of it! What's wrong? I can see how upset you are! Don't lie to me!"

Oh crap! 

Papyrus had to get out of here! He couldn't put this whole burden on Sans' shoulders! It was HIS problem! Sans shouldn't have to get involved!

"N-nothing much brother!"(...total fucking lie...)"I just feel a little sick, that's all!"(...sick in the head....)"I'll just head to my room and rest!"(....seclude yourself, cause that'll fucking help....)

Papyrus rushed to the stairs past Sans, who tried to catch him by the arm.

"W-WAIT!! PAPYRUS!!!" shouted Sans as he tried to follow. Considering how lazy he was, he could run pretty damn fast! Once Papyrus was up the stairs he rushed to his room just in front of him. Sans, however, caught him by the scarf, yet not choking him.

"PAPYRUS!!!" shouted Sans. He sounded like a parent at this moment. Panic struck Papyrus.

"STAY AWAY FROM ME!!" he shouted as he pushed Sans to the side towards HIS room. Sans was shocked. He looked at Papyrus with desperate, sad eyes. "P-Papyrus?"

Oh no!!! What have I done!?

(....you could've killed him you know.....just hide in your room, you're better there anyway.....)

Papyrus listened to the voice in his head and, with tears in his eyes, ran into his room.

Once he was inside he locked the door and refused to turn the light on. Papyrus started to slowly make his way to his bed, illuminated by whatever moonlight was in the sky, which was slim to none. As he walked however, he felt something around his neck, and no, it wasn't just his scarf. He felt like he was being choked by it, and decided to take it off before lying down. So he did.

He set it(....threw it....)on the floor underneath the flag Undyne had found. Afterwards, he lie down in his bed and began to cry loudly into his pillow, not minding Sans outside his room anymore. His stomach ached more at the thought that he could've just killed his own brother. 

He was so busy doing this that he didn't even notice that part of his scarf, the place where Sans had touched, 

had turned grey.......