Chapter 15: Welcome to...

As Papyrus ran, his heart racing with pure fear for his brother, he couldn't help but notice he was slowly, yet surely, getting weaker. When he first started running, he felt fine, but as seconds turned to minutes, he began to feel heavy. It was as if his bones were slowly being covered in cement and weighed down as it dried. He had barely made it to Hotland before feeling weighted and extremely tired!

The moment he stepped one foot into Snowdin, his soul STOPPED. He felt a painful tug in his ribs as his soul attempted to continue beating, only to pause completely, sending him to the ground in a comatose state. His mind went empty the moment he fell, not even allowing him to catch himself from landing on his side.

Just on the outskirts of Snowdin, between the borders of rushing water and falling snow, an empty body fell, hitting the ice with a solid thud.

*The sound of cracking ice resonates in the empty air...

*Your DETERMINATION turns to...CONCERN...

Papyrus wakes with a start, launching into a sitting position, grasping at his chest as if it were wrapped in chains. He breathes heavy, not knowing what's going on or where he is, practically blind to everything. Slowly, his breathing relaxes as he gets a good look around.

It was a very simple, empty place. All around him was dark and dank, the surrounding environment consisting of dirt, rocks, and occasional grass. However, the place where he sat was doused in sunlight and coated with a thick layer of shimmering golden buttercups of different sizes. Looking up to the source of the light, he found an almost perfectly circular hole leading to the surface, allowing bright mid-day sunlight to shine on him like a spotlight. The hole was too high to work as an exit and was quite big. Any unsuspecting passerby could fall down it. As the light intruded his dark, foggy eye-sockets, he raised a bony hand to block it. As he did, he noticed some bits of leaf and petal stuck in his hand. Slowly and curiously looking behind him, he noticed the matted down flowers in the place he was previously laying. He then followed the matted path and took notice of the full size of the flowery circle he currently rested in. It was quite big, about fifteen feet in diameter, and it went around in a perfect circle shape.

All around him, everything was still, the only existing noise coming from outside the circular exit above him. Birds, wind, occasional animals, that was all he could hear, and it was distant. Apart from that, he had nothing but the rubbing of petals and stems as he occasionally shifted in his place.

Letting out a soft sigh, no recollection of what was happening before he passed out, he simply laid back down, letting the sunlight soothe his bones and the quiet, natural ambiance ring in his ears, hoping that if he fell asleep again, maybe he'd return home and remember what happened.

Suddenly, he heard footsteps.

Eyes widening in surprise, he sat upright once again, the clicking sound of shoes against dirt growing nearer and nearer by the second. Fear eating at him slightly, he looked carefully into the darkness ahead, squinting in an attempt to see the source of the noise. Soon, a tall figure took form in his line of sight. He backed away slowly, gently crushing some of the smaller buttercups by doing so. However, he never stood up. In only a matter of seconds, a tall female human made her way in front of him, staring at him intently with her crazed, shrunken, blood-red irises, a large, madman smile gracing her face. He froze under her gaze.

W-who is she?

Despite wondering this, he had the feeling that he'd seen her before. That he knew her name...

Ka*%(#$...

Nonetheless, he sat there, frozen in discomfort. 

For minutes at least, they both stayed in place, staring at each other quietly. Then, out of nowhere, the woman spoke, brushing her dark brown hair from her face.