I Am Death

Chapter Eighteen

I am Death

“Dad,” I said as I glided toward him, cloak covering every inch of me. When I accepted who I was, the cloak and nearly all the information about Death came flooding into my head automatically. It’s still very hard to remember half of it, but oh-well! I’m Death bitch; it doesn’t freaking matter how I learn the technique. “Why do I feel so old?”

And then I noticed the woman standing next to him.

Beautiful silky blond haired flowed down to her shoulders, light brown eyes boring into mine. She smiled as she approached me. I recognized her in an instant.

“M-mom,” I stuttered, not believing I was actually seeing her.

“Midnight,” she whispered in admiration. She covered her mouth in disbelief. “Oh my; my baby’s gotten so big!” Without warning, she threw her arms around me and hugged me. I still wasn’t use to the fact that she was here, so the warmth and comfort that flooded through me caught me by surprise. “I really can’t believe it’s been fifteen years.”

“What?” I said in confusion. Fifteen years? I’m only thirteen!

She smiled. “Well honey, for the first two years of your life I had to put a sleeping spell on you in order to protect you from the hunters who track you. I’m sorry we never told you, but we had no other choice. We still needed to find Anita and Christopher when I hid you; they had already eloped.”

I growled at the names of the humans who put me in that asylum.

I pondered my age for a moment. So I’m fifteen. I knew something was up with me! I’m too wise to be thirteen, and I put off stuff easier. Hmm…what really characterizes a fifteen year old?

“So anyway…” I started, not really concerned over the fact I was fifteen. “I accepted it, Mom and Dad. I mean look at me!”

Dad’s head whipped around furiously. I noticed his eyes were no longer brown like when I first met him. They were pale green. Strangely, I liked this better. He looked complete, and like…well, him.

“Accepted what?” he said.

“The truth,” I said plainly. “I am Death, Dad. I’m not going to run from it anymore.”

He froze along with mom.

And then… all hell broke loose.

And army of warriors came cascading my way. They were all dressed in black and gold, and they smiled evilly at my presence. Zeke was among them, having been the leader.

“Well, well, well,” he said tauntingly. “Midnight, it looks like you finally accepted your fate.” He sighed. “It was so easy getting you when you thought you were human. Now I can finally kill you.”

I smiled. “It’s nice to see you too, Zeke. Who are your friends?”

“The assassin’s of the destruction of life,” they all said in chorus.

“So you all think she’s the cause of your Death,” I heard a familiar voice call. “You guys are fucking idiots.”

Irritation, disappointment, longing, and sadness flashed briefly across Zeke’s eyes.

“Melony, please,” he pleaded, “Stay out of this.”

Melony danced in front of me, and prepared to spring.

“I can’t, idiot. I’m her guardian, remember?” Anger and determination stayed the key emotion on her face. “I’m not going to let any of you guys touch her. Besides, the peak of her power is over, and she’s less likely to let even you live after she explodes.”