Chapter 4

Maddi keeps asking if she can do the grocery run. I think she's hoping she'll run into that guy she saw at Starbucks around a few weeks ago. The only problem is that she keeps forgetting to buy stuff because she's so focused on searching the aisles for Mr. Mysterious, so after school Kira and I head downtown to get bread and about six other crucial food items you need to live before Morgan gets home from work.

"So how long do you think it's going to take for Maddi to find this guy anyway?" Kira asks me as we walk down the street.

I let out a bark of laughter, "With our luck, prob'ly a year or two."

"True." We push open the doors to the supermarket and head inside.

She grabs a thing of bread and spends an awkwardly-long amount of time staring at the label.

"Kira?"

She looks up, "Sorry, I'm distracted. I've got big news when we get back."

I nod, "Okay, now, we need Oreos: Deacon keeps eating all of them!"

By the time we get back Morgan's home from work and we have about six different boxes of cookies amongst our groceries. But we get a small surprise when we walk in the door: Alex is here!

"Alex-an-da-ra!" I call as she waves from the balcony, "How's it going on your side of town?"

She smiles, her face rimmed with long brown hair lights up and she adjusts her glasses, "Good. I heard Morgan got an acting job so I can down to celebrate."

Kira waves a box of cookies in the air, "Well, we got the food! But first, everyone sit down, I have good news!"