Chapter 13

It's Saturday, about a week later, and this morning Maddi's comes into the living room screaming at the rest of to stop watching TV and listen because she has big news. We calmly turn the TV off and turn to face her.

"Adamaskedmeoutagainandhewantstogotothearcade!" She lets out in a single breath.

Familiar with this method of delivering information, I simply say, "One more time, maybe, a little slower?"

She shoots me the death glare and tries again, "Adam... asked me out again... and he wants togotothearcade!"

"Good enough." I laugh, "Why are you so excited though? It's like the fourth time you've gone to the arcade with him."

"Right," Morgan says, "this isn't a first time you guys have hung out is it?"

"No... but this is an actual date! Like, he's picking me up and everything!"

"Oh, well that's great then!" I say, getting up and grabbing a muffin off the counter.

"Yeah, awesome," Kira replies, "Hey Emma, we should get to work on those dress designs, A-E wants them next week."

"Good idea- yes Maddi?" Maddi's holding me by the back of my sweater, causing me to choke a little bit.

"Do you know what this means?" She hisses in my ear.

"The um, choking part or the Adam part?" I gasp.

"The Adam part you-", Morgan covers her mouth before I can be called a very creative name and she gently pries her fingers off my sweater, easing Maddi into a chair.

"What does it mean?" She asks calmly as I recover from my near-death experience.

"It means that I can meet his friends soon and then I can match you all up with boyfriends!"

Kira raises her hand, "I already have a boyfriend."

"Yeah, and because all his friends are gonna be as perfect as him?" I laugh, "That only happens in movies!"

"She'll never stop bothering you about it until you get a boyfriend." Morgan says as she leaves for work and Kira and I head into the bedroom to work on designs.

The next day Maddi goes out shopping for five hours for a shirt (yes, five hours, for one shirt) while I'm out shopping for a cat.

We're allowed small pets in our complex, and apparently a cat is small enough, so I've always wanted one. It's my lucky day! I come home with my arms full of cat food and a small orange kitten to find the apartment full of people.

"Everyone, this is Phosphorus," I announce to Alex, Kira, Maddi, Deacon and Morgan proudly, "He's gonna be here for a while so you'd better like him."

"You named your cat after an element on the periodic table?" Maddi asks, "I'm calling him Phosy... or maybe Fuzzy."

"Hey! Don't insult my nerdiness, I like the sound of it." I argue.

"If you like science so much why don't you study it instead of fashion?" Alex asks.\

"Yeah, you're smart enough." Deacon pipes up.

"Thanks," I say, "But I just like to be creative I bit more." I set the kitten down on floor and he stumbles his way through the mess of legs and pillows, his beautiful orange body swaying as he walks over to the window and jumps up onto the sill to sleep.

That night he curls up beside me as I fall asleep. I run my fingers gently across his soft body and listen to him purr quietly. His breathing mixes with the three other people in the room and I slowly drift off to sleep.