Chapter 19

"So tell me, is this Jackson guy the center of your focus right now?"

Maddi is sitting perched on the edge of my bed, holding ice to her thumb (she had a fight over the TV remote with Deacon), looking at me curiously as I roll my eyes from the other end of my bed.

"No, you are."

She flips her hair and winks at me, "Well, I am pretty great."

I roll my eyes again, "Okay, but it was actually because you're talking to me right now."

She sticks her tongue out at me and grabs her phone just as it buzzes, "Ah! Adam wants to meet me at the park!"

"Uh-oh, he either wants to break up or make out."

"Who's making out? I'm confused." Kira walks into the room with Morgan just behind her.

"You should be confused." I grab a Twizzler from the bag in her hand before she can pull it away, "You just walked in on a conversation."

Maddi gets up from the bed as Kira playfully punches me in the arm, "See ya' later babes."

We wave to her and Morgan sits down on her air mattress on the floor, "So what's going on with you and this Jackson guy?"

"He's Emma's new boyfriend!" Kira ducks as I throw a pillow at her in response to her accusation.

"He is not my boyfriend!" I yell.

"He has your number."

"So does "He has your number."

"So does your boyfriend might I add." Oops, that bring up uncomfortable memories about school rumours, but she lets it slide, "And it was technically an accident."

"Yeah, technically." She grabs my phone as it goes off, "And he's texting you now! 'Do you want to get ice cream later this afternoon? You can bring your interesting group of friends'"

"Oh... It's not a date then, he's sneaky!" Morgan smirks, she might be kind but she can definitely tease.

"Yeah, because he knows if he asks Emma out she'll just shut him down!" Kira dodges another pillow and it hits the window behind her, just above where Phosy is taking a nap. He jumps down off the sill and 'meows' grumpily.

"Not true!" I protest as I pick up the cat and hold him up to my face playfully, "Okay, yeah it's sort of true... Anyway, do you guys wanna come later or not?"

"Sure, it's ice cream!"