Chapter 22

The next day I'm rocketing around the room, in desperate search of my favourite combat boots when Maddi saunters in with a sway that tells me she's up to something. She holds my phone up and smirks.

"Hey Jackson texted, he has to cancel."

I shoot her a look as I dive under Kira's bed (you never know), "That's crap," I call from among dust bunnies and old gum wrappers, "He wouldn't cancel unless someone in his family was dying, you have no idea how excited he is for this." I wiggle out from under the bed and grab my phone, dropping it on the bed.

"Okay fine," She groans, "I just wanted to see how much you liked this guy."

"It has nothing to do with how much I like him, it has everything to do with how much he likes me." I say, pulling open a drawer and finally finding them. I hold them up triumphantly before pulling them onto me feet.

A pair of used-to-be-black combat boots, now painted to look like the cosmos, black laces and silver buckles. My babies. Literally, I love them more than my phone, and that's saying a lot for a teenager these days.

I run into the bathroom to spike up my hair and absent-mindedly wonder how in the heck someone, especially a super-shy guy like Jackson even though I was pretty. I mean, in today's society? I pull my jacket over my loose grey tank top and thread a black belt through my black jeans. I can't believe they let me into fashion school with all those boy-crazy, curly-haired chicks.

I grab my motorcycle keys and my phone off the bed. "See you in like three hours." I call.

"Ew, you're going to put a helmet on? At least you have strong gel." Kira pipes up from the couch, even though I know that she knows that I know she would do it too.

"Not to mention I don't care about helmet head!" I add, my hair pretty much does what I want it to, not like I care anyway.

"Have fu-un!" Maddi blows mw a kiss and Kira waves flirtatiously.

"Whatever you two." I close the door behind me a jog down the hall, trying not to be too late.

As I walk down the hall I can't deny I'm a little bit nervous, but I push that thought out of the way and press the elevator button. A young girl with curly blonde hair, the daughter of one of the neighboring families I actually like, "How's it going you?" I poke her lightly, and smile teasingly. She laughs and give me a thumbs up before another girl steps out of the elevator and they skip off together down the hall.

I ride the lift down to the parking garage and grab my precious motorbike helmet out of my locker. I jog over the bike itself and take a moment to savour the black and orange Gold Wings before hopping on and starting It up. The purr of the engine gives me all the confidence I need as I turn out of the garage and drive maybe a little too fast over to the movie theatre.

When I get to the theatre I park across from a flashy purple mini-van and stash my helmet under my seat. I walk up to the front of the building and spot Jackson's white-blonde hair just inside. I duck through the door and walk up behind him, he's looking down at his phone, searching movie tickets.

"Nothing sappy or romantic please?" I startle him, and he turns around laughing.

"Stop doing that!"

"Sorry... okay not really." I smirk, which is like the same as a smile for me.

"So what do you want to see?" He asks, "They've got the new TMNT out."

"Okay! How much do I owe you-", I start to reach into my pocket, but pull my hand back out when he starts laughing.

"When was the last time you were on a date?" Humour tickles his nervous eyes, "And what jerk took you?"

I blush, yes, blush. "Oh. Well, the last time I went to the movies was with my roommates..."

"Okay..."

"I'm serious!" I elbow him lightly as we get into line. The last time I was on a date, I had long hair, no motorcycle, and no confidence. I guess all those bad dates turned me into a sarcastic, short-haired teenage girl who hates guys too hot for their own sake.

After the movie Jackson walks me to my bike (which is better than any fifth date I've ever been on). I watch his expression when he looks at it, but it's dark and he can't see much, so he doesn't really look. Usually when people see the bike they kind of back away a little, but he's looking at me the whole time.

"Thanks." I say, and he blinks confusedly, "That was fun."

"Oh, well thanks for not sitting there with your arms crossed the whole time." He smiles nervously and a few seconds of awkward silence elapse.

I grab my helmet from under the seat and turn to get on the bike, but pause and face him again.

"I'm open to do it again if you want." I say, "You're not a jerk... so far."

He laughs, "Okay, well see you around..."

I smirk and give him a light kiss on the cheek, "Yep."

I get on the bike and rev the engine, he blushes, and waves as I turn out of the parking lot and watch him walk back to his car. I keep the radio off as I drive home, watching building after building whiz by calmly. The world seems a little more peaceful than it did yesterday. Until I remember I have an essay due in three days. Then I drive a little faster.