Chapter Three

Chapter Three

"First of all I would like to apologize for both Mr. Frank's behavior and Harry's behavior." Principal Taylor spoke as he shut the door behind me and made his way over to his chair.

I was situated in the same chair Harry had just left. His strong musty smell along with the typical office smell lingered in the air. My arms instantly went to the arm rests and tapped just as Harry's had moments ago. Looking up at the principal I could see the regret buried deep within his eyes. I let a smile cross my face and shrugged my shoulders letting him know it was alright. Instantly his entire body relaxed and he took a seat in the large chair he had stationed behind the desk.

"Why don't I give you this so we can have a bit of a chat," Principal Taylor spoke swiftly pulling open one of his desk drawers and removing a small white board and marker.

I could tell he had mulled over this the entire day, some nonchalant way to have a conversation with me. This was his best option, and I was okay with it. I'd rather write to him than have him call in a specialist to translate my signing to him. That would just add on to the embarrassment I already felt.

I smiled taking the board and marker.

"So how was your first day?" He asked sitting back and intertwining his fingers on his lap.

I shrugged and began to write on the white board. After a few moments of awkward squeaking sounds from the marker I turned the board around.

It was alright, still getting used to a new school and finding my way around.

My handwriting was appalling, it always had been. Apparently cute handwriting is somehow connected to the speaking area of the brain cause I managed to be completely incapable when it came to both of them.

"Would you like me to assign a student to help you get around to your classes?" Principal Taylor asked reaching forward towards his computer mouse.

I shook my head rapidly, my eyes widening in panic. I didn't need someone babying throughout the day, forcibly assigned to show me around the school.

Principal Taylor put his hands out in front of him and spoke, "that's understandable, Genevieve." he stopped speaking his eyes combing over my cringing face as he called me my full name.

My name was beautiful but it wasn't made for a 16, almost 17 year old girl in the 21st century. The only people that ever called me Genevieve were my mother when she was angry or my grandmother cause she believed I should be proud of my name, this coming from a woman named Sue.

"Is that what you like to be called?" Principal Taylor asked cocking his head slightly to the left.

I shook my head and erased with the side of my hand my previous writing and scribbled down my name.

Gene (Jenna)

I always had to put the normal spelling of my name, even though you clearly pronounced Jenna, when you said my name when you removed the 'vieve' it just didn't look right.

"Alright, Gene, one more thing," Principal Taylor's voice cracked as he spoke and his face sunk. "I just need to warn you about Harry."

I nodded my head slowly and I swallowed hard. Whatever this man had to say about Harry would just reinforce the prejudice I had against him. Pursing my lips slightly I listened carefully.

"Harry Styles is a troubled kid." Principal Taylor closed his eyes for a second taking a deep and tired breath. "You being a new student here don't know a lot about him. He is one to get into mischief often, so please heed my warning and avoid him. You seem like a very good and honest student and getting involved with Harry would be a danger."