Chapter 28

So it was for the next four days. Leaving a clone with Skren to watch over Mira by day and spooning her body by night. By now, I had trained enough to remove the spell on my body and I had begun to regain some of the weight I had lost. However, there was no change in Mira's state. Eir was ecstatic when I told her about the moan, at least she was partially conscious for a moment, but there had been nothing since and I was going more and more discouraged every day. Odin had even consented to speaking with me in a kind tone once a day or so, asking me if there was any change in Mira and occasionally complimenting me on my work with the new recruits.

Thor was still fighting in Vanaheim, a new band of marauders had come out of hiding, extending the estimate of the time it would take before peace was restored. On the second day, I got the idea to try and reach out to Mira mentally but her mind was entirely unresponsive so that was a dead end. I was getting more and more anxious for her to wake up. Her blood had stopped coming and now, aside from her very slow, very shallow breathing, there was no sign that she was alive. On the fifth night, however, everything changed.

I fell asleep quickly, having trained harder than normal today as an attempt to distract myself from Mira so I am confused when I am pulled out of sleep in the middle of the night for no apparent reason. Determined to get back to sleep, I pulled Mira closer and closed my eyes again.

Mira's POV

What was going on? It was dark, that much I could tell without opening my eyes. I was lying somewhere soft, Loki's bed. I recognized the texture of the sheets. But how did I get here? I had been in the library! Had I missed dinner? I tried to get up but there were two reasons why I could not. One, I was so weak. I could barely open my eyes, let alone move my limbs and second, I was trapped in someone's embrace. When I figured that out, I froze in terror. Loki wasn't supposed to be released until sunrise! If he was still imprisoned, then who was in this bed with me!? Filled with terror, I tripled my efforts to get away.

Loki's POV

I was jerked awake again only moments after closing my eyes and, for the life of me, couldn't figure out why. That's when I felt it. Mira was tensing in my arms. She was trying to move. That meant she was awake. She was alive! Joy and relief filled my heart. My love was back. I could barely see the dark room around me with the tears of happiness in my eyes. But then I thought of something. She was trying to move away from me. Why? Why would she be doing that? I thought back to when she first went into coma. It had been the night before I was released and Odin had let me out early. She must not have realized what she had done and therefore thought I shouldn't be out yet. That's why she was afraid of me! She thought I was someone else!

Mira's POV

I couldn't do it. No matter how hard I struggled, I couldn't break free from the grasp of the mystery person. I was too weak.

"Mira." I knew that voice! It was Loki! I stopped squirming. Had he been let out early? Or had I just slept in?

"We have a lot to talk about, Mira." I tried to move my jaw to speak but it felt like it was glued shut.

"It's just as well you can't talk. You won't be able to interrupt me. I know this is going to come as a bit of a shock but I want you to stay with me and stay calm. It's all over, it's all in the past. You're going to be ok." What did he mean by that?

"You've been in coma for the past five days." My world crashed down upon me. Five days?! That meant that I hadn't been there to be the first to see him when he was released! That I wouldn't be able to take to the air for at least a week because I was too weak! That meant that Odin had probably figured out about my little fib! I was beginning to hyperventilate.