Chapter 37

Ok, people.  I'm updating early because according to me, September 6th is a global holiday, marking the end of the fake relationship Tom had (and you all know what I'm talking about, I will not dirty my story by typing the name of the other Person).  It was so FAKE I mean, like, the first pics hit the news on June 6th and the breakup is September 6th.  Exactly three months.  Now is that fake or what?  Not only that, but all the good quality pictures were released by the same company, we all know Tom isn't the type of person to have a relationship with someone fresh out of a long-term one, and they should both (well, Tom is, I'm not sure about the other one) be smart enough to avoid the paps.  I mean, COME ON

(Ok, I'm done.  Proceed to your special treat)

I pulled into the small parking lot and found a spot close to the entrance.  It wasn't very crowded but that was to be expected, as it was probably a school day.  When we got inside, I was pleased to see that the size of rink was not proportional to the size of the town, it was a standard rink that probably doubled for ice hockey practice.  There were a few people on the ice, mainly middle aged couples.

"Come with me, we need to get rental skates from the counter."

"Do we have to pay for them?"

"Yes, but don't worry.  I brought my money." I tossed my wallet in the air and we went up to the older man working the booth.

"Newcomers?  What brings you to our little town?"

"Visiting family in the area."

"And who might that be?"

"No one important, you probably wouldn't know them."

"Deary, I take pride in knowing everyone in this town.  No one is unimportant.  But I can see that you do not wish to say and I will respect your privacy.  Two pairs of skates?"

"Yes please." I told him our shoe sizes and he went to the back while I got out the appropriate sum of money.

"Here you are.  You know how to lace them up?"

"I think so."

"Just make sure they're good and tight, you don't want your feet to be able to move that much.  Kind of like ski boots."

"Got it."  I handed over the cash, grabbed the skates, and allowed him to stamp my hand.

"Sir?"

"Loki, I need your hand." I grabbed it and held it out.

"Loki?  As in the guy who invaded New York?" Loki froze.

"No, his family is Nordic.  They're all named after Norse gods."

"You must feel pretty bad, someone who shares your name doing all of those terrible things."

"Yes.  I do." Loki's jaw moved stiffly.

"Thank you for your help." I shepherded Loki over to the bench and we sat with our backs to the man.

"I should take the form of someone else.  I look too much like myself.  What if I'm recognized?"

"You won't be, I promise.  And starting tomorrow, you won't have to worry about it anymore."

"You don't know that." I put on my left skate and he watched me lace it up before copying with magic. "But if you don't want to be recognized, then don't use magic.  Being named Loki is crazy enough."

"And the fact that I look like myself."

"Hey, it's ok, alright?  Dark hair is a common trait.  And while emerald green eyes are not, I do believe it is common knowledge that the Loki that invaded New York had blue eyes."