Chapter 7

Four days have passed since Sam when into surgery to have the bullet removed. She was placed in a induced coma to allow her body to get a head start on healing itself. Gabriel had not left her side at all, instead had his office moved to her room. He had a basic desk that was covered with paper and documents along with his laptop. He would work away during the day while watching over Sam who had machines connected everywhere, keeping her alive and breath. The heart monitor beeps steadily, it was music to Gabriel as he work because it kept him calm with the knowledge that Sam was still here.

" Alpha. Daniel and Coal have returned." John said as he opened the door and stuck his head through.

" They're late." He grumbled while still looking at his laptop. "Tell them to write up their report and send it to me by tonight."

" Understood. And oh, Daniel found his mate. He wanted to ask if she could transfer here?" John smiled happily as one of his fellow pack members just found his mate.

" Give him the necessary papers for them both to fill out, make sure she clears it with her alpha first." Gabriel said while moving his eyes from his laptop screen to a brown folder and opened it. He scanned over the report from Shanae and Ted that said the Blue Moon pack has had no unusual activities around their borders. Just the usual rogue risked a cross to the other side. Just as he went to read the next paper of the report, Sam's heart monitor jumped and fell before a few nurses walked into the room with small smiles on their faces.

" What's happening?" Gabriel asked as he watched the nurses working away quickly but carefully.

" She's ready to wake up." One said as he watched them slowly begin to disconnect her from machines.

" How long until she wakes?" Gabriel asks closing down his laptop and pushing up off his seat.

" Not too long, maybe an hour or two." She said again as she nodded to the other nurse before running through a few more checks over Sam and then left the room. Gabriel lifted his chair from the small desk and moved it to be by Sam's right bed side. His eyes scanned over her as she lay finally clear of all those tubes and wires. She wore a hospital gown and her hair had been tied up in a messy bun, clearly done by a nurse just trying to keep it all away. He reached up and picked up her hand to hold it gently in his large one. Sam's hand was cold yet soft to the touch, he half expected her to grab his hand and smile at him.

Gabriel sat their, watching her face as the colour slowly grew once again. Not much, just now she never looked tinted blue. The nurse was right because after an hour and almost five minutes, Sam's hand moved in his. Gabriel jumped up from his seat and sat on the side of her bed. He changed his hand which was holding hers to the other while his right hand moved up to caress her smooth cheek. A small smile made its way onto his thin lips when he felt those familiar tingles he used to get before she died.

" Sam? Can you open your eyes?" Gabriel asked her in a soft and gently husky voice as his thumb continued to caress her cheek. As if to answer him, Sam's eyes peeled open and fluttered to try an moisten them as her soft yet dull brown eyes looked to Gabriel

" Wha..." Sam breathed out trying her hardest to speak only to have Gabriel shush her and turn around to reach for a glass and a jug full of water that sat next to the bed. He pour the water into the glass and picked up a straw before moving to Sam's lips. She took the straw in her mouth and pull the water up into her mouth.

" Slowly, slowly. Now, do you remember what happened?" Gabriel asked as she continued to drink the water slowly. She pulled her mouth away from the straw, having had enough of the water.

" Vaguely." She whispered as Gabriel put the glass that was now half full back onto the desk.

" Can you tell me what you remember?" He prompted her to speak. Sam sighed heavily before looking down at her hand which Gabriel's hands now held.

" I remember walking with you talking about getting a Chinese. Then someone shot at us. Next thing I remember was being in the car and that's when I realised I had been shot." Sam told him quickly. "That's all I remember."

"That's good, there is nothing much else to it." He said as he stood up and walked over to his desk. Sam watched him and when she saw his desk, she raised an eyebrow at him.

" You brought not only your work here, but your office?" Sam asked with a soft giggle.

" Well, I was not wanting to leave your side and I had a lot of paper work to do. So why not bring my work here. Where I can get everything done, while watching over you." Gabriel smirked as he shifted through papers before pulling out a sheet.

" I have something I wanted to ask you." He said as he sat back down on her bed. "Seeing this new predicament. I would much rather you be close so if anything does happen during your recovery. We can get you seen immediately." Gabriel said as he passed her the piece of paper.

" A form for..." Sam began only to have Gabriel jump in.

"Now, It's only temporary. Just until you are healed and one hundred percent better. By signing this you will be put in our system and the room that is next too mine will be yours." He told her as she nodded. "And if by chance you decide you want to stay, permanently. Then you would be more than welcome to." He smiled softly to her.

" Okay, that sounds reasonable. Okay, do you have a pen?" Sam asked holding out her hand with the palm up. Waiting for Gabriel to place a pen on it. Gabriel smiled happily as he placed his pen into her hand.

"Excellent." He said to her.