Chapter Twenty

**When you see ITIHYKOL that stand for It's That I Hate You Kind of Love**

Sand. The tiny grains fell across my cold feet, enveloping them in a soft blanket as I buried my pink toes into its depths. The salty breeze whipped off the blue steel-gray ocean whistling through my loose hair and fluttering my thin white dress. I fingered the cotton material thinking, "I never wear dresses", though I wasn't surprised to be found in it. Above me there were the shrieking of seagulls and the dark clouds, rumbling deeply in the distance. I peered down the empty beach in slight confusion.

I was all alone.

"Charlotte."

My head whipped around as I saw him standing in a thin white shirt to match my dress, and tan shorts that fell to mid-knee. Carson too, was barefoot. His blonde hair was a little jostled by the wind, but it suited him well.

What didn't suit him was the slight scrunch to his forehead and the guilt clouding his lamp-lit eyes.

"What took you so long?" I said narrowing my (own) boring brown eyes and crossing my arms. "I've been waiting for you Carson."

The guilt began to increase a little and I felt my heart clench. I didn't mean to make him feel worse, I was just teasing! Just as I made to apologize he suddenly relaxed his expression and smiled dangerously.

Carson took a step forward and then another and then another until he was standing right in front of me. My neck had to crane to look up at his gorgeous face. Like always, a stutter overcame my poor heart at the sight of his crooked smile and shining blue eyes.

God, I am the luckiest girl alive. What did I do to deserve such a model of a guy? Guess all that sharing my room with my annoying cousin, Sharon, really helped out.

His warm hand was a shock against my face as he cupped my flushing cheek and leaned closer to me. "I'll just have to make it up to you then."

My eyes closed as the husky whisper of his voice vibrated through my chest and his scent mixed with the salty air washed over me like a tidal wave. It nearly tore me apart as I took a step away. He growled, a sound that caused my eyes to open.

Ignoring his hurt expression I took a another step away, smirking. "You think you can get away that easy? Guess again babe. You'll have to beg for forgiveness!"

Carson's face of hurt fell away into one of teasing. He cocked an eyebrow. "Oh, really? I think I'll just kiss you."

It took my breath away, still, to hear his say those words, but I shook it off and grinned slyly. "We'll then, you'll have to earn it. Catch me!"

"Catch you?"

"Yes, catch me! Or are you too chicken?"

His face darkened and he wore a dangerous smirk. "You are so dead, sweetheart."

As he lunged at me I let out a girlish scream and began to run away, my feet sinking into the sand as I went. I pounded across the beach grinning foolishly as his deep chuckle reached my ears. The dress clung to my goosebumps-covered body and the train flowed behind me whipping through the air with sharp cracks.

"Ah!" I squealed as he suddenly surged closer with a burst of speed and missed me by an inch. I giggled at his determined expression. It was clear he could catch my easily, but was giving me the benefit of the doubt.

"When I get my hands on you..." Carson growled playfully, not even finishing his threat.

I laughed loudly, the bright sound ringing through the air like a silver church bell. "Then hurry up and catch me already!"