Broken Home

Jace pulled up to a small white, or used to be white, house. It's walls are cracked and caked with grime. The roof is caving in on one spot, and it's mostly over grown with Ivy.  He didn't see how a place could deteriorate so much in only 9 years. Unless it was always this broken. The thought made his heart ache for Val. He didn't see her til he walked around back to find her sitting on a porch swing which looked like it might fall at any minuet. She smelled strongly of alcohol and cigarettes and from the empty bottles and cigarette butts surrounding her there was no denying it was definitely her.

"What the hell, Jace?" She spat.
"What?" He said in shock.. "I was worried about you."
"Go home." She muttered.
"No." He stated firmly. "What's wrong Val?"
"Nothing."
"Don't give me that shit."
"I'm fine."
"Obviously" he retorted sarcastically, as he picked up an empty grey goose bottle.
She rolled her eyes "So?"
"The Val I know wouldn't touch alcohol"
"The Val you know doesn't exist."she said as tears began to slide down her face. Valentina Martin never cried.
"What's happened to you?" He asked.
"Nothing, Jace."
"Come home. Please." He stuttered.
She rose to her feet." Home?" She chuckled and then shouted "Home?! You want me to come home?" She laughed hysterically "I have no fucking home to go back to."
"Your dad loves you very much" Jace began, "he's worried sick"
"I'm sure," she said with venom in her voice, "considering he's the one who told me to get out. Since he's the one who raped me. Who hurt me. Who beat me. I'm sure. " her voice cracked as she yelled
Jace felt a lump rise in the back of his throat, "Oh." was all he could say. He had no clue Val had come from such a broken home. "What about your mom?" He asked. He'd never met Val's mom and she never spoke of her.
Val's voice was barely audible as she spoke, "She left." she crumpled back onto the swing.
     Neither of them said anything else. He went and sat next to her on the swing and she lit a cigarette and tried to act fine, which Jace knew she was anything but.