4

Luke : age 12

Luke and Michael sat in silence as they played video games. The room was dark, and the only light was coming from the TV.

"Hey Luke?" Michael asked.

"Yeah?" Luke responded, still focusing on the game.

"My wanted me to ask you if you would be okay if she enrolled you into my middle school. You're getting smarter, and she's not gonna be able to teach you soon. She teaches pre-school." Michael said, and Luke frowned.

"I wish, but my mom won't pay for it. She won't even buy me any more clothes. I've had this shirt since I was 9. I can still wear it because the only times I get to eat is when I'm over here." Luke said, sadly.

He paused his game, and scooted over, laying his head on Michael's shoulder. "I wanna go to school." He whispered, but knew it just couldn't happen for him. His mom was too busy buying drugs.

"My mom said she could pay for it. Luke, it's gonna be okay. On the days she's not teaching, she sells houses. We have enough." Michael said, turning to Luke.

"She said that?" Luke asked with hope filling his blue eyes. Michael nodded, and Luke smiled so brightly.

"You're gonna go to my school. I'll be in eighth grade, and you'll be in seventh."

-

Luke stepped into the school with Michael, and smiled.

It was already halfway through the school year, so everybody already had their friends. Luke knew it would be a little hard without Michael, but he was excited to finally make friends.

"Alright. I'll walk you to your first class so you know where to go." He said, taking the schedule from Luke hands.

"You have Mrs. Loren?! I love her!" Michael said, and excitedly walked Luke to the class in the seventh grade hallway.

When they stepped into the class, Michael waved at the teacher. The class hadn't started yet, so she was just writing on the board.

"Hi, Michael. Who's this?" She asked, and Luke smiled, holding onto his backpack straps.

"I'm Luke! I'm new." He said, and the teacher smiled.

"He has your class first. Anyway, I'll be back after class to show you where your next one is." He said, and Luke gave him a hug, earning a laugh from Michael. "Good luck." Michael said as the bell rang, running off to his class.

Luke smiled at the teacher again, and she led him to a seat in the back of the class next to a boy who looked up at Luke as if he were the most amazing thing ever. "You know Michael Clifford?! He's in 8th grade."

"Yeah. He's my best friend." Luke said, and sat in the desk.

"Wow. You're so cool." The kid said to Luke, making him smile.

"I'm Luke." The blonde boy smiled.

"I'm Calum. I'm glad you moved here. I didn't really have anyone to talk to before."