Prologue: EDITING NOW

I know this story definitely needs editing... so forgive me for typos or grammar mistakes, I'm getting around to editing soon!

*****
Prologue:

        When Averia Was 9:

        Scarlett McBride worked in a small diner in town. Her mama was a drunk and her father had never been around. It just seemed that her and Averia, her younger step-sister, were suffering the consequences for their mama's reckless behaviour. Even though they were only stepsisters, Scarlett always called Averia her real sister.

Sitting in the front yard of her small home in their small home-town, Averia could feel the heat of the blazing sun, burning her neck and back. She spent some time trying to find a patch of shade to sit in, while she waited for Scarlett to get home from work.

She didn't want to go into the house, at least not while her mama was still awake. She was drunk again...

She wanted to wait for Scarlett to come home because she was the only person Averia had ever felt safe with. Scarlett had planned to move away as soon as she had enough money to. She worked daily, desperately trying to save money to get the hell out of there.

She wanted to get out of this dump she had to call home.... It didn't feel much like a home at all. More like hell on earth.

'Listen Avie,' Scarlett would say, 'When you are old enough to fully understand what exactly is going on, you're gonna thank me. I know it's hard to hear that I plan to take you away to a whole new place, without mama, but it is for the best. You'll see.'

Scarlett was the one who had brought Averia up from being a baby. Scarlett was 19, and Averia was just 9 at this point.

From the front porch, Averia could hear her mama having a drunken argument with her latest man.

Harsh times... A nine year old shouldn't be hearing these things: The cussing, the insults, the slapping... Averia turned around and walked away from the house, heartbroken. All her friends had normal, happy lives. Perfect parents, a nice warm dinner on the table instead of having to attempt to open a can of cold beans for tea, cutting her fingers and lips on the sharp cans edges.

She decided to take a seat on a bench her sister Scarlett always sat and smoked a cigarette at for a few minutes before going home.

Averia was waiting for ages but Scarlett never turned up.

What had happened?
Was she OK?

Averia had gotten hungry, and she knew she needed to go inside. She needed food. After not eating for three days she thought she'd surely starve soon. Her stomach was growling so loudly. She looked around at the door, listening to find out where her mama was. If she was still concious. 

Averia heard shouting upstairs and decided to quickly go make beans on toast for herself. Once again, slicing her index finger on the can, dropping a bowl on the floor, luckily it didn't break and anger her mama even more. She heard the shouting getting louder and more and more harsh words were being spat at her mama. And more harsh words being thrown back at Tony.

So Averia decided to take her food upstairs into her tiny bedroom and eat there.

She wished that Scarlett would be home soon. She figured she must have had to work overtime today. ..

With it being summer the other waitresses probably rang in ill so they could spend the day in the sun, wearing as little as possible.

Scarlett had names for these girls that Averia was told she wasn't allowed to say.